|Alternative names||Metropolis Towers|
|Construction started||6 April 2015|
|Height||106 m, 87 m and 55 m|
|Floor count||33, 27 and 13|
|Design and construction|
|Architecture firm||EM Architects|
|Developer||Metropolis Developments Limited|
|Main contractor||Metropolis Developments Limited|
The M-towers, also known as the Metropolis Towers, are three towers that are under construction in Gżira, Malta. The tallest of the three, at 33 stories, is set to become the tallest building on the island, surpassing the 98m Portomaso Business Tower. The towers form part of a massive project, Metropolis Plaza, which includes a large plaza, shops and restaurants.
Planning and development
The project is aimed at giving new life to Testaferrata Street, which was commonly associated with prostitution. Construction of the towers was supposed to start in 2007 and was estimated to be complete by 2016. The project was estimated to cost €60 million. However, the project was delayed by a number of years due to a lack of finance and permits.
The project was initially approved by MEPA on 12 March 2009. In November 2014, MEPA approved a number of changes to the Metropolis project, including building a helipad on the roof of the highest tower, a larger car park and the creation of more public places.
- "Metropolis Plaza Tower 1". emporis.com. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "Metropolis Plaza Tower 2". emporis.com. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "Metropolis Plaza Tower 3". emporis.com. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- Macdonald, Vanessa (5 July 2007). "Aiming high". Times of Malta. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "Reaching new heights". Times of Malta. 9 December 2007. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- Fenech, Gerald (5 August 2007). "Gzira to switch off the red light". Malta Today. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "MEPA approves Gzira high-rise development". Times of Malta. 12 March 2009. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "Gzira's Metropolis Towers project to get more parking spaces, helipad". Times of Malta. 10 November 2014. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "Foundation stone of the Metropolis Plaza in Gzira laid". Times of Malta. 6 April 2015. Retrieved 6 April 2015.
|This Malta-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|