M. H. Holcroft
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Monte H. Holcroft
|Born||Montague Harry Holcroft|
14 May 1902
Rangiora, New Zealand
|Died||24 September 1993 (aged 91)|
Rangiora, New Zealand
|Occupation||Writer, editor, and journalist|
|Spouse||Eileen Allanah McLean, Aralia Jaslie Seldon Dale, Lorna Mildred Taylor|
|Children||Allan (deceased), Anthony, Jocelyn|
Early life and family
Holcroft was the second of three sons, born in Rangiora on 14 May 1902 to Harry Cooper Holcroft and Harriet Emily Soanes. He was married three times and had three children, Allan Holcroft (deceased) from his first marriage and is survived by two children from his second marriage, Anthony Holcroft and Jocelyn Rimmington.
In 1936, Holcroft began writing for the Southland Times and became its editor. In 1949, Holcroft was offered the editorship of the New Zealand Listener in Wellington. He took up the appointment in June 1949. He became the longest-serving editor of the New Zealand Listener.
Honours and awards
- Beyond the Breakers, John Long, 1928
- The Flameless Fire, John Long, 1931
- Brazilian Daughter John Long, 1931
- The village transformed: aspects of change in New Zealand, 1900-1990. Victoria University Press. 1990. ISBN 978-0-86473-210-1.
- A voice in the village: the Listener editorials of M.H. Holcroft. Silver Fern Books. 1989. ISBN 978-0-908792-04-7.
- New Zealand: Essay by M.H. Holcroft. Illustrators Kenneth Bigwood, Jean Bigwood. Reed. 1966.CS1 maint: others (link)
- Encircling seas: an essay by M. H. Holcroft. The Caxton Press. 1946.
- The Deepening Stream: Cultural Influences in New Zealand (1940)
- The way of a writer, Volume 1. Cape Catley. 1984. ISBN 978-0-908561-17-9.
- A sea of words: volume two of an autobiography. Cape Catley. 1986. ISBN 978-0-908561-15-5.
- Discovered Isles: a Trilogy : The Deepening Stream, The Waiting Hills, Encircling Seas. Christchurch: Caxton Press, 1950. Voyager link
- Timeless World : a Collection of Essays, Wellington: Progressive Publishing Society, 1945. Voyager link NZ Listener 323.13 Aug (1945): 12-13.
- Andrew Mason. "Holcroft, Montague Harry". Dictionary of New Zealand Biography. Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, updated 30-Oct-2012.
- New Appointment. Otago Daily Times 16 March 1949, Page 4
- Hamilton, Stephen (2008). "Montague Harry Holcroft, 1902 – 1993". Kōtare. 7 (2): 150–156.
- "No. 45001". The London Gazette (3rd supplement). 1 January 1970. p. 42.
- Terry Sturm, ed. (1998). The Oxford history of New Zealand literature in English. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-558385-4.