Make Out (band)
|Origin||New York, NY|
|Labels||Really Bad Records|
|Associated acts||Junior Senior|
Make Out is a New York City-based band consisting of Jesper Mortensen (ex-Junior Senior), lead vocalist Leah Hennessey, and drummer Chase Stauffer. The group plays fast, manic, condensed pop songs. In late 2010, the band recorded their debut EP, How To, with producer Nicolas Vernhes (Dirty Projectors, Animal Collective) at his Rare Book Room studios in Brooklyn, NY.
Their first single, "I Don't Want Anybody That Wants Me", debuted on Spin.com and was subsequently featured in NME, Nylon, My Old Kentucky Blog, and Indie Rock Café. The single received radio play on KCRW (Santa Monica), and modern rock radio stations KROQ (Los Angeles), KTCL (Denver), KFMA (Tucson), WTFX (Louisville), and WBTZ (Burlington). On June 12, 2011, Little Steven named "I Don't Want Anybody That Wants Me" the "coolest song in the world" on his weekly syndicated radio show Underground Garage and officially added the song to the daily playlist (airing on the XM channel "Underground Garage" and several FM stations, including New York City's largest classic rock station, WAXQ, Q104.3).
Make Out opened for the New York Dolls at the Bowery Ballroom and also appeared on East Village Radio, Virgin Mobile Live, and Fader Magazine's tripwire podcast. Make Out was featured in the September 2011 issue of i-D magazine.
In October 2011, Make Out released their single "You Can't Be Friends with Everyone", produced by Peter Wade and Amanda Warner from MNDR. They also released a video for the song co-directed by Diane Martel and John Threat. The band and video were featured in Paper Magazine in December 2011. In February 2012, the band released a new single for the song "You're So Party Tonight", which was also produced by Wade and MNDR and recorded at WonderSound NYC.
Albums and EPs
|2011||How To, EP
|2010||"I Don't Want Anybody That Wants Me"|
|2011||"You Can't Be Friends with Everyone"|
|2012||"You're So Party Tonight"|
- "NYC Indie Band Make Out Team up with Famed Producer for Debut EP". Indie Rock Cafe. Retrieved 30 May 2011.
- Gaston, Peter. "Ex-Junior Senior Man Rocks Out". Spin.
- Schiller, Rebecca. "10 Best Free MP3 Downloads This Week". NME.
- Darwin, Liza. "MAKE OUT". Nylon Mag.
- "MAKE OUT: I Don't Want Anybody That Wants Me". My Old Kentucky Bloc. Retrieved 30 May 2011.
- "KCRW". KCRW. Retrieved 30 May 2011.
- "Rodney On The Roq Playlist 3/28- Duran Duran, Make Out, Eisley & More". KROQ. Retrieved 30 May 2011.
- "MAKE OUT". KFMA. Retrieved 30 May 2011.
- "Show 480 - Four Big Ones (The Stupid Melody)". Underground Garage. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- Yavin, Dana. "New York Dolls & Make Out Played Bowery Ballroom". Brooklyn Vegan. Retrieved 1 June 2011.
- "MAKE OUT Interview on East Village Radio". East Village Radio. Retrieved 30 May 2011.
- "MAKE OUT on Virgin Mobile Live". Virgin Mobile Live. Retrieved 30 May 2011.
- "Leah Hennessey on Tearing Through New York in Make Out's New Video for "You Can't Be Friends With Everyone"". Retrieved 2 July 2012.