Minnesota State Highway 244
|Maintained by Mn/DOT|
|Length:||4.742 mi (7.632 km)|
|Existed:||July 1, 1949 – present|
|South end:||MN 120 at Mahtomedi|
|North end:||MN 96 at Dellwood|
Minnesota State Highway 244 (MN 244) is a highway in Minnesota, which runs from its intersection with State Highway 120 and Ramsey County Road 15 (County E) at the White Bear Lake–Mahtomedi city boundary and continues briefly east and then north to its northern terminus at its intersection with State Highway 96 in Dellwood. The route is 5 miles (8.0 km) in length.
Highway 244 is also known as Wildwood Road, Mahtomedi Avenue, and Dellwood Avenue at various points throughout its route. The route is located in Washington County.
The road runs primarily through a heavily wooded, residential area. That, combined with hilly terrain and numerous curves, results in a 30–35 mph (50–55 km/h) speed limit for most of its length. It becomes 45 mph (70 km/h) after the junction with County Road 12, and lowers to 40 mph (65 km/h) when it reaches the commercial area at its southern terminus with Highway 120 and County Road 15.
The route is legally defined as Route 244 in the Minnesota Statutes.
At one time, Highway 244 had continued farther west from its present-day junction with Highway 120 at the White Bear Lake / Mahtomedi boundary line. Before 2002, the route had continued west of Highway 120 on present day Ramsey County Road 15 (the south edge of the city of White Bear Lake) until reaching Highway 61 at the Vadnais Heights / Gem Lake boundary line. Highway 244 had previously formed an arc around both the south and east sides of White Bear Lake.
The 2001 Minnesota Legislature approved removal of Route 244 from the state trunk highway system. The portion within Ramsey County was, and still is, also known as County Road E. In 2002, the Ramsey County portion was officially transferred to the county and the State Highway 244 signs were removed and it was re-signed as Ramsey County Road 15 (County E).
As of 2010, the section of 244 within Washington County is still labeled as State Highway 244, but is still expected to be re-signed to county highway numbers. As of 2010, Highway 244 still appears on the official state highway map as a state highway within Washington County.
The entire route is in Washington County.
|White Bear Lake–Mahtomedi
|0.000||0.000||MN 120 south (Century Avenue) / CSAH 15 west (County E) / CR 27 north|
|Mahtomedi||1.326||2.134||CSAH 12 (Stillwater Road)|
|Dellwood||4.742||7.632||MN 96 (Dellwood Road)|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
Route map: Google
- "Chapter 663-H.F. No. 1792", Session Laws of Minnesota for 1949, Earl L. Berg, Commissioner of Administration, pp. 1177–1185
- "Trunk Highway Logpoint Listing" (PDF). Minnesota Department of Transportation. November 6, 2013. Retrieved June 11, 2014.
- "161.115, Additional Trunk Highways". Minnesota Statutes. Office of the Revisor of Statutes, State of Minnesota. 2010. Retrieved December 27, 2010.
- Riner, Steve. "Details of routes 219–287". The Unofficial Minnesota Highways Page. Self-published. Retrieved May 7, 2010.[self-published source]
- "Jurisdictional Transfers". Minnesota Department of Transportation. August 24, 2009. Retrieved May 7, 2010.