MSC Bruxelles in Virginia
|Owner:||Santa Loretta Shipping Corp|
|Operator:||Redeerei Claus-Peter Offen BmbH & Co|
|Port of registry:||Monrovia, Liberia|
|Builder:||Samsung Heavy Industries|
|Propulsion:||1 oil engine|
Hull and engine
MSC Bruxelles was built by Samsung Heavy Industries in yard 1511 and was finished in November 2005. This dry cargo container ship is operated by Redeerei Claus-Peter Offen BmbH & Co and the Port of Registry is located in Monrovia, Liberia. MSC Bruxelles has a length of 337m, a beam of 46m, a draught of 15m, and a depth of 27m.
According to Tribune Business News this ship is 217 feet longer and 50 feet wider than the aircraft carrier Yorktown. When docking in the Port of Charleston, it showed the future of ships and shipping. Big ships and bigger ships are to come to this industry. MSC Bruxelles docked in Hampton Roads the councilman commented "There is no room for error anymore. You've got to be right on." Councilman continues to comment that this ships record won't last. Finally he comments that the bigger the ships the more jobs that we are creating for our economy.
- Lloyd's Register of Shipping (2007). Register of Ships. London: Lloyd's Register of Shipping. p. 2198. ISBN 978-1-906313-04-3.
- "MSC Bruxelles". Retrieved 7 March 2012.
- Slade, David (Aug 2, 2011). "Ships Just Get Bigger: 2 Weeks After the Massive MSC Bruxelles' Visit, Another 1,000-plus-footer on the Way". McClatchy - Tribune Business News. Retrieved 27 February 2012.
- Leach, Peter (Jul 21, 2011). "Charleston Handles Record-Sized Container Ship". Journal of Commerce. Retrieved 27 February 2012.
- Frost, Peter (Jul 20, 2011). "Biggest Ship Yet Visits Hampton Roads, but Record Won't Last Long". Daily Press. Retrieved 27 February 2012.