Machine Gun (Portishead song)
|Single by Portishead|
|from the album Third|
|Released||24 March 2008|
|Portishead singles chronology|
"Machine Gun" is a song by English band Portishead. The song made its radio and download debut on 24 March 2008, acting as the lead single from their third studio album, Third (2008). It premiered on Zane Lowe's BBC Radio 1 show and was made available for download on the band's official website. A UK one-sided 12 inch vinyl was released on 14 April 2008.
The 12-inch vinyl was released on 14 April, while a digital version was made available from the official site on 10 April. A music video for the song was released. It features the band playing the song at the studio. On 29 May, during the first concert at the Estrella Damm Primavera Sound Festival in Barcelona, Chuck D of Public Enemy joined the band onstage to perform a rap section on the instrumental part at the end of the song.
- "Machine Gun" – 4:45
In popular culture
- A different version of the song appeared in the teaser for the video game Metro: Last Light.
- The song was featured in an episode of the British teen drama Skins, which is set in Bristol which is where the band are from.
- The song is used as entrance theme of professional wrestler Marty Scurll in Progress Wrestling.
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||12|
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||17|
|UK Singles Chart (Official Charts Company)||52|
- "Portishead Reveal Third single, Box Set details". pitchforkmedia.com. Retrieved 2008-03-20.
- "The ARIA Report: Issue 946 (Week Commencing 14 April 2008)" (PDF). Australian Recording Industry Association. p. 4. Retrieved 7 June 2013.
- "Portishead – Machine Gun" (in Dutch). Ultratop. Hung Medien. Retrieved 6 June 2013.
- "Portishead – Machine Gun" (in French). Ultratop. Hung Medien. Retrieved 6 June 2013.
- "Portishead – Machine Gun". lescharts.com (in French). Hung Medien. Retrieved 7 June 2013.
- "Portishead". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 7 June 2013.