Made in Bangladesh (2019 film)
|Made in Bangladesh|
|Directed by||Rubaiyat Hossain|
|Starring||Rikita Nandini Shimu|
|Music by||Tin Soheili|
|Distributed by||Pyramide Films (France)|
Made in Bangladesh is a 2019 Bangladeshi drama film directed by Rubaiyat Hossain. It premiered in the Contemporary World Cinema section at the 2019 Toronto International Film Festival, following the participation at BFI London Film Festival, Locarno Film Festival and other major festivals.
Shimu, 23, works in a clothing factory in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Faced with difficult conditions at work, she decides to start a union with her co-workers. Despite threats from the management and disapproval of her husband, Shimu is determined to go on. Together the women must fight and find a way.
- Rikita Nandini Shimu as Shimu
- Novera Rahman as Daliya
- Deepanwita Martin as Reshma
- Parvin Paru as Maya
- Mayabi Rahman as Tania
- Shatabdi Wadud as Reza
- Mostafa Monwar as Sohel
- Mita Rahman as Moyna's mother
- Shahana Goswami as Nasima
Had its world premiere at Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF), the artistic director of TIFF Cameron Bailey mentioned the main character of the film as "She is the Norma Rae we need now". Writing for Cinema Scope, Dana Reinoos described the film as "a vision of feminist solidarity in the face of overwhelming opposition" while Jordan Mintzer of The Hollywood Reporter called it "an earnest if sometimes schematic portrait of social rebellion' and wrote that it "definitely deserves wider attention."
The film won the Premio Interfedi Award at the Torino Film Festival, the Audience Award at the African Diaspora Film Festival, and the Norwegian Peace Film Award at the Tromsø International Film Festival.
- "Made in Bangladesh (2020)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 15 September 2020.
- "Factory Drama Made in Bangladesh Picked Up by Pyramide". Variety. Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- "Made in Bangladesh". TIFF.
- "BFI London Film Festival".
- "Locarno 2020".
- "Made in Bangladesh (Bangladesh)". 2019 NY African Diaspora International Film Festival (ADIFF).
- "'Made in Bangladesh': Film Review TIFF 2019". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 15 October 2019.
- "The winners of 37TFF's collateral awards". 30 November 2019.
- "Made in Bangladesh (Bangladesh)". Best of ADIFF 2019.
- "The Norwegian Peace Film Award: Tromsø International Film Festival".