Made to Love
|"Made to Love"|
|Single by tobyMac|
|from the album Portable Sounds|
|Released||December 26, 2006|
|Format||Digital download, CD|
|Writer(s)||Toby McKeehan, Aaron Rice, Jamie Moore, Cary Barlowe|
|Producer(s)||Toby McKeehan, Christopher Stevens|
|tobyMac singles chronology|
"Made to Love" is a song by contemporary Christian singer tobyMac from his third album, Portable Sounds. It was released as the album's lead single on December 26, 2006. This was also included on the compilation album, WOW Hits 2008.
Music and lyrics
"Made to Love" is generally considered a Christian worship song, both musically and lyrically. It has been labeled as having a "laidback groove" with a neo soul sound. Toby has said it was meant to be released on the Welcome to Diverse City album but he was never satisfied with the verses. The idea of the song and chorus existed for over 4–5 years prior to the actual release. He has said it was barely done in time for Portable Sounds as well.
"Made to Love" was released on December 26, 2006, in both the digital download and CD formats, and includes a "musical mayhem remix" by Matt Bronleewe. The song quickly began to climb on R&R's contemporary hit radio (CHR) chart at the start of 2007, and reached No. 1 during the first week of January 2007.
At the end of 2007, it placed as the second top-played song on R&R's Christian CHR chart for the year, and the seventh most played song on Christian AC radio. That year the song received a total of more than 23,800 plays on the Christian CHR format, and over 29,600 plays on the Christian AC format.
The song was received relatively well by music critics. Allmusic reviewer Rick Anderson said that the song felt "perfectly natural — though he does sound a bit too much like a Sting imitator during the reggae interlude near the end of 'Made to Love'." Kim Jones of About.com considered it to be tobyMac's best song of his solo career, and CCM Magazine's Christa Banister called it "irresistibly catchy".
All tracks written by Toby McKeehan, Cary Barlowe, Jamie Moore & Aaron Rice.
|1.||"Made to Love"||3:53|
|2.||"Made to Love (Musical Mayhem Remix)"||3:20|
|US Christian Songs (Billboard)||1|
- Kim Jones. "Top Songs by Gospel Rapper tobyMac - Best tobyMac Songs". About.com. Retrieved 2009-05-01.
- John DiBiase. "tobyMac, "Portable Sounds" Review". Jesus Freak Hideout. Retrieved 2009-05-01.
- Rick Anderson. "Portable Sounds Review". Allmusic. Retrieved 2009-04-30.
- Christa A. Banister (March 2007). "Portable Sounds - tobyMac - Album review". CCM Magazine. Retrieved 2009-05-01.
- "Tobymac - Made to Love [2 Tracks]". Billboard. Archived from the original on July 9, 2014. Retrieved 2009-04-30.
- "Tobymac Rolls Out New Project with 'Portable Sounds' Tour". BREATHEcast.com. January 31, 2007. Retrieved 2009-04-30.
- "2007 Year End Charts: Top Christian CHR Songs". R&R. Retrieved 2009-04-30.
- "2007 Year End Charts: Top Christian AC Songs". R&R. Retrieved 2009-04-30.
- Nominations Announced for 39th GMA Dove Awards on CBN.com (February 14, 2008)
- "tobyMac – Chart history" Billboard Christian Songs for tobyMac. Retrieved July 14, 2016.