Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Josephine Decker|
|Written by||Josephine Decker|
|Music by||Caroline Shaw|
|Distributed by||Oscilloscope Laboratories|
Josephine Decker directed the film and wrote its screenplay. Camera work was handled by Ashley Connor, and music was composed by Caroline Shaw. The film's producers were Krista Parris and Elizabeth Rao.
Madeline’s Madeline was first screened at the Sundance Film Festival in January 2018, and the Berlin Film Festivals in February. Oscilloscope Laboratories acquired U.S. distribution rights and announced plans for a general release later in the year.
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 88% based on 59 reviews, with an average rating of 7.6/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "Madeline's Madeline proves experimental cinema is alive and well — and serves as a powerful calling card for Helena Howard in her big-screen debut." Metacritic gives the film a weighted average score of 79 out of 100, based on 21 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
Writing in The Village Voice, Bilge Ebiri called Madeline’s Madeline "the best thing I saw at Sundance this year". IndieWire reviewer David Ehrlich described the film as "one of the boldest and most invigorating American films of the 21st century".
- "Madeline's Madeline". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved August 12, 2018.
- Young, Deborah (February 19, 2018). "'Madeline's Madeline': Film Review, Berlin 2018". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Archived from the original on February 20, 2018. Retrieved July 16, 2018.
- Ebiri, Bilge (January 28, 2018). ""Madeline's Madeline": The Best Film I Saw at Sundance". The Village Voice. Archived from the original on January 31, 2018. Retrieved July 16, 2018.
- McNary, Dave (March 2, 2018). "Film News Roundup: Molly Parker Drama 'Madeline's Madeline' Gets Distribution". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved July 16, 2018.
- "Madeline's Madeline (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved August 28, 2018.
- "Madeline's Madeline Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved August 21, 2018.
- Ehrlich, David (January 23, 2018). "'Madeline's Madeline' Review: Josephine Decker Has Made a Mind-Scrambling Masterpiece — Sundance 2018". IndieWire. Penske Business Media. Archived from the original on February 15, 2018. Retrieved July 16, 2018.