Madison Ferris is an American actress, best known for portraying Laura Wingfield in The Glass Menagerie.
|Alma mater||Muhlenberg College|
|Known for||The Glass Menagerie 2017 Revival|
Ferris moved to New York City, and got her first professional performance opportunity as a paid dancer at the Joyce Theater. Ferris performed in two dance pieces, Ballet (New York) and The Show Must Go On by French choreographer Jerome Bel.
The Glass Menagerie
Ferris was traveling in Australia when the casting notice for Sam Gold's revival of The Glass Menagerie was announced. Unable to fly back for the audition, she submitted a videotape. Ferris flew back to the US for a callback, then was asked back again to read with the play's star, Sally Field. A short time after, Ferris was cast in the role of Laura Wingfield.
Ferris made history as Broadway's first lead actor in a wheelchair. The show opened with the house lights on as Amanda slowly brought Laura up the steps to the stage, right in front of the audience. In discussing how she gave Laura agency, Ferris says,
“We discussed how to make her human, and how to make her a subject of the play rather than an object...We wanted her to be strong; we wanted her to have a voice, to have opinions, to love her family, to want to hang out with Jim O’Connor.” 
- Quinn, Dave (23 March 2017). "Breaking Boundaries on Broadway! Meet Glass Menagerie Star Madison Ferris". People.com. People. Retrieved 2 August 2017.
- Peterson, Margie (April 14, 2017). "Muhlenberg College grad makes Broadway history in 'The Glass Menagerie'". themorningcall.com. The Morning Call. Retrieved 2 August 2017.
- McBride, Seth (March 9, 2017). "New Production of "The Glass Menagerie" Stars Wheelchair User Madison Ferris - New Mobility". www.newmobility.com. New Mobility. Retrieved 2 August 2017.
- Hoffman, Barbara (5 April 2017). "Wheelchair-bound actress is living her dream onstage with Sally Field". New York Post. New York Post. Retrieved 2 August 2017.
- NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt (May 21, 2017). "Actress Breaking Barriers as Broadway's First Lead Actor in Wheelchair". NBC News. NBC News. Retrieved 2 August 2017.
- Teeman, Tim (10 March 2017). "Review: A Radical and Shattering 'Glass Menagerie,' Starring Sally Field, Storms Broadway". The Daily Beast. The Daily Beast Company. Retrieved 2 August 2017.
- Peitzman, Louis (April 17, 2017). "Meet The Actor With A Disability Who Is Helping To Transform A Classic Play". BuzzFeed. Buzzfeed. Retrieved 2 August 2017.