Maharshi Karve Stree Shikshan Samstha
In 1896, Bharat Ratna Maharshi Dhondo Keshav Karve founded an institution in a village named Hingne near Pune city. Prof. Maharshi Karve dedicated his life for the humanitarian objective which was upliftment of women which formed the major section of socially downtrodden during that period. For his sacrifice and dedicated social work, Maharshi Karve was awarded "Bharat Ratna", the highest national award.
On 14 June 1896, Maharshi Karve started "Home for widows" along with the school for widows in a small village named Hingne in Pune. The Home for Widows was then named "Hingne Stree Shikshan Samstha" and the school was named "Mahilashram High School". Later the institution was renamed "Maharshi Karve Stree Shikshan Samstha".
The institution has expanded and is running 60 educational units having diversified branches all over Maharashtra with units located at Pune, Wai, Ratnagiri, Nagpur, Kamshet, etc. All these units are meant only for girls. The institution has now established branches like engineering, architecture, management, nursing, fashion technology, vVocational training institute, and health center.
Institutes run by Shikshan Samstha
- 1991 - Cummins College of Engineering for Women
- 1994 - Dr. Bhanuben Nanavati College of Architecture for women
- 1996 - Hiraben Nanavati Institute of Management and Research
- 1998 - School Of Fashion Technology, Pune
- M. N. Institute of Vocational Training
- K. B. Joshi Institute of Information Technology
- Cummins College of Engineering for Women at Nagpur
- [www.maharshikarve.ac.in website]
|This Indian university, college or other educational institution-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|