|Directed by||Kranti Kanade|
|Produced by||Children's Film Society, India|
|Written by||Kranti Kanade
|Music by||Mathieu Lamboley|
|Edited by||Suchitra Sathe|
Mahek is an award winning Indian children's film by writer-director Kranti Kanade.
It's about 11-yr old dreamer Mahek who wants to be the best at everything, but is unsure of how to achieve her goals.
The film was produced by the Children's Film Society of India (CFSI).
Legendary artist and cartoonist Mario Miranda did the illustrations for the film. The crew was FTII alumnus who subsequently did notable work. Mrinal Desai, the DOP, was the second unit director of photography on 'Slumdog Millionaire' and later shot universally acclaimed film 'Court'. Editor Suchitra Sathe and Sound designer Anmol Bhave worked on National Award winning films.
It premiered at the BFI London Film Festival to affectionate reviews. Invited to over twenty International film festivals including Chicago, Munich, Toronto, St Louis and Cleveland, it won awards in Hollywood and Houston. It was Best Children's film nominee at the Asia Pacific Screen Awards, Australia and was shown as part of "Modern India" studies syllabus at the Otterbein University.
This film received positive with British Film Institute terming as "An inspiring family film from India". The Sprockets Toronto Film Festival noted that "The film celebrates imagination, self-confidence and perseverance." Maithili Rao of the Frontline section of the Hindustan Times commented that the film was "A rare combination of sensitivity and gentle humour". Similarly, Rachel Dwyer, University of London termed the film as "Totally delightful". Cleveland Film Festival, USA noted it a "Gem of a film". St.Louis Film Festival, USA described Mahek as a "Beautifully filmed with a nice eye for color and very funny", whereas the Syracuse New Times, New York applauded that the film "Certainly matches Truffaut’s cinematic spirit."
- Outlook - A new filmmaker on the horizon
- Indian Express - Imagery of childhood
- Mahek's first screening in India
- Interview with Kranti Kanade
- Indian children's film win accolades in Houston
- "अमेरिकी यूनिवर्सिटी के सिलेबस में भारतीय फिल्म". Navbharat Times. 28 May 2008. Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- Maithili Rao (25 October 2008). "Reality and dreams". Frontline, Hindustan Times. Archived from the original on 14 December 2008. Retrieved 2009-05-24.
- Sumithra, Thangavelu (6 June 2008). "Cinematic Kranti!". Business Line. The Hindu. Retrieved 15 January 2017.
- Praveen, Donthi (28 June 2008). "A philosopher and a film-maker". Hindustan Times. Archived from the original on 26 December 2010. Retrieved 15 January 2017.
- Vijay Vedala (6 July 2008). "A new film-maker on the horizon". Outlookindia.com. Retrieved 2009-05-24.
- "Imagery of childhood". The Indian Express. 30 April 2008. Retrieved 2009-05-23.
- Tanvi Salkar (24 October 2008). "The fragrance spreads". The Indian Express. Retrieved 2009-05-23.
- "Interview with Kranti Kanade - Director of Mahek". Navtarangam. 23 May 2008. Retrieved 2009-05-23.
- "Indian children's films win accolades in Houston". Indiantelevision.com. 25 April 2008. Retrieved 2009-05-23.