Make A Child Smile
|Type of business||nonprofit 501(c)(3) charity|
|Founded||May 17, 1998|
|Founder(s)||Alexandra d'Avila Bakker|
Founded in May 1998 by Alexandra d'Avila Bakker, the Make A Child Smile Organization, also known as MACS, was a source of support to children with chronic or life-threatening illnesses and their families. Emotional support was provided by creating the opportunity for people to visit the MACS website and learn about the children and their illnesses.
A picture and biography of children battling chronic illnesses were published on the website. Hundreds of 'net surfers, schools, service organizations, girls/boys scouts and church groups, used the MACS website as a philanthropic project, where they could send cards, letters and small gifts to the featured children and their siblings, through postal mail to cheer them up during their difficult time.
Due to the lack of funding and staffing, Make A Child Smile closed down at the end of 2011, after 13½ years in operation.
In the news
MACS has been featured on many TV news broadcasts, magazines and newspapers, including:
- "Wishes And Dreams - I'm a little kid with a big Holiday wish!". The Maury Povich Show. 2000-12-22. NBC.
- Katherine Dykstra & Lisa Pilnik (2001-05-01). "Send a card to a sick child". Redbook Magazine, p. 90. Retrieved 2007-12-22.
- Robyn Freedman Spizman (2006-02-01). "Share your love". Seventeen Magazine, p. 68. Retrieved 2007-12-22.
- Wendy Smolen, Maija Johnson & Barbara Huber (2006-11-01). "Wish List - Feel-Good Gifts". Nick Jr. Magazine, p. 71. Retrieved 2007-12-22.
- Stephanie Berger (2006-10-01). "Help from Home". FamilyCircle Magazine, p. 78. Retrieved 2007-12-22.