Malcolm K. Hughes
Malcolm K. Hughes
Matlock, Derbyshire, United Kingdom
|Alma mater||Durham University (PhD)|
|Known for||Hockey stick graph|
|Institutions||University of Arizona|
|Thesis||Investigations of the ecosystem energetics of an English woodland (1969)|
Education and early life
Career and research
Since 1998, he is a fellow of the American Geophysical Union. His research is on the nature of climate variability, specifically focusing on the timescales of years to centuries. He uses natural recorded records such as tree rings.
Hughes has studied geographical areas including Europe, Asia, and the Sierra Nevada. In addition to tree rings, Hughes uses ice cores, laminated sediments, and the historical temperature record to help understand past climates. In 1998, he was a co-author with Michael E. Mann and Raymond S. Bradley on a paper which produced the first eigenvector-based climate field reconstruction (CFR) incorporating multiple climate proxy data sets of different types and lengths into a high-resolution reconstruction of northern hemisphere temperatures. In 1999 the same team extended the method to cover 1,000 years, producing what was dubbed the hockey stick graph.
- Mann, Michael E.; Bradley, Raymond S.; Hughes, Malcolm K. (1999). "Northern hemisphere temperatures during the past millennium: Inferences, uncertainties, and limitations" (PDF). Geophysical Research Letters. 26 (6): 759. Bibcode:1999GeoRL..26..759M. doi:10.1029/1999GL900070.
- Malcolm K. Hughes publications indexed by Google Scholar
- "Malcolm Hughes curriculum vitae" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 29 June 2010.
- "Abc.co.au – Conversation with Malcolm Hughes". Archived from the original on 23 June 2008.
- "In the Line of Fire", interview re his 2011 book, Global Warming and Political Intimidation: How Politicians Cracked Down on Scientists as the Earth Heated Up, July 2011" (PDF).[dead link]
- "Profile at the Laboratory for Tree-Ring Research". Archived from the original on 6 December 2008.
- Hughes, Malcolm K. (1969). Investigations of the ecosystem energetics of an English woodland. ethos.bl.uk (PhD thesis). Durham University.
- "Malcolm Hughes". Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs & Provost. University of Minnesota. Archived from the original on 23 July 2008. Retrieved 5 February 2009.
- Bradley, R.S., Hughes, M.K. and Diaz, H.F (2003). "Climate in Medieval times". Science. 302 (5644): 404–405. doi:10.1126/science.1090372. PMID 14563996.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- Mann, M.E. & Hughes, M.K. (2002). "Tree-Ring Chronologies and Climate Variability". Science. 296: 848. doi:10.1126/science.296.5569.848.
- Myneni, R.B., Dong, J., Tucker, C.J., Kaufmann, R.K., Kauppi, P.E., Liski, J., Zhou, L., Alexeyev, V. and Hughes, M.K. (2001). "A large carbon sink in the woody biomass of northern forests" (PDF). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 98 (26): 14784–14789. Bibcode:2001PNAS...9814784M. doi:10.1073/pnas.261555198. PMC 64936. PMID 11742094.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- Bradley, R.S., Briffa, K.R., Crowley, T.J., Hughes, M.K., Jones, P.D. and Mann, M.E. (2001). "The Scope of Medieval Warming". Science. 292 (5524): 2011–2012. doi:10.1126/science.292.5524.2011b. PMID 11411490.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Malcolm Hughes". Institute for Environment and Society. The University of Arizona. Archived from the original on 6 December 2008. Retrieved 5 February 2009.
- Mann, M.E.,Raymond S. Bradley, Malcolm K. Hughes, and Philip D. Jones (1998). "Global Temperature Patterns". Science. 280 (5372): 2027. Bibcode:1998Sci...280.2027M. doi:10.1126/science.280.5372.2027e.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- Mann, M.E., Bradley, R.S., Hughes, M.K. (1998). "Global-Scale Temperature Patterns and Climate Forcing Over the Past Six Centuries". Nature. 392 (6678): 779–787. Bibcode:1998Natur.392..779M. doi:10.1038/33859.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- Hughes, M.K. (1988). "Ice-layer dating of eruption at Santorini.Scientific correspondence". Nature. 335 (6187): 211–212. Bibcode:1988Natur.335..211H. doi:10.1038/335211b0.
- Hughes, M. K., F. H. Schweingruber, D. Cartwright and P. M.Kelly (1984). "July–August temperature at Edinburgh between 1721 and 1975 from tree-ring density and width data". Nature. 308 (5957): 341–344. Bibcode:1984Natur.308..341H. doi:10.1038/308341a0.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
|This biographical article about a climatologist or meteorologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|