Maligiaq Johnsen Padilla (maligiɑq jonˀsn padiɬa) is a Greenlandic kayaker known for his skill with the sea kayak. In 1994, at the age of 12, he won every event in his age group at the National Kayaking Championship.
Born in Greenland to an American father and Greenland Inuit mother, Juliane Padilla (née Johnsen), he was raised from age 4 in Sisimiut. Padilla's grandfather, Peter Johnsen, taught him much of what he knows. A skilled kayaker in his own right, Johnsen taught Padilla how to kayak, how to build the boats and how to hunt using a harpoon and rifle. Included in his training were open-ocean skills and traditional kayak building skills. Kayaks built by Padilla are housed at the Greenland Sisimiut Museum, the Inuit Gallery of Vancouver the Smithsonian Museum in Washington DC and the Kativik Cultural Center in Nome.
Padilla is the only person in history to win ten Greenland National Kayaking Championships, winning his first title at 16.
- SeaKayaker Magazine
- "Maligiaq Padilla". inuit.com. Inuit Gallery of Vancouver. 2015. Retrieved February 28, 2015.
- "Kayak clothing from Greenland". www.britishmuseum.org. British Museum. 2001. Retrieved February 28, 2015.
- "The Revivalist – Maligiaq Padilla". www.canoekayak.com. CanoeKayak. February 1, 2011. Retrieved February 28, 2015.
- "Sealskin sprayshirt (akuilisaq)". www.britishmuseum.org. British Museum. 2001. Retrieved February 28, 2015.
- Moeller, Karina (November 2013). "The humble revivalist Maligiaq". greenlandtoday.com/gb/. greenland today. Retrieved February 28, 2015.
- Kerns, Chris (May 2012). "Unfiltered: Maligiaq Johnsen Padilla". www.canoekayak.com. CanoeKayak. Retrieved February 28, 2015.
- Holthouse, David (January 8, 2010). "Hope floats, and rolls". www.adn.com. Alaska Dispatch News. Retrieved February 28, 2015.
|This Greenlandic biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Danish canoeist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to sports in Greenland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|