Mallory Hurwitz Tarcher
June 19, 1963 (age 55)
New York, New York, U.S.
|Other names||Mally Lewis |
|Occupation||Writer, TV Producer, Puppeteer, Creator|
|Children||James Abraham Tarcher Hood|
Mallory Hurwitz Lewis (née Tarcher; changed her name legally in honor of her mother, Shari Lewis; born June 19, 1963) is an American writer, television producer, ventriloquist and puppeteer. Lamb Chop is a "sock puppet" of the mother and daughter.
Tarcher worked closely with her mother as producer of Lamb Chop's Play-Along. Jeremy Tarcher had also been part of Shari Lewis's show on PBS. After her mother's death in 1998, on the advice of family friend the late Dom DeLuise, Tarcher decided that Lamb Chop should live on for her many fans and has begun performing with Lamb Chop. It was during this time that she changed her surname to her mother's, of Lewis as an homage. While Lamb Chop may be described as "sassy", "please" and "thank you" are part of the repertoire. Lewis has the same hand size as her mother.
Lewis said of her decision to take up the puppet: "My mom was one of the world's greatest entertainers. I don't want to challenge that. I don't think it's wise to go there. But I do want to do everything that I can do for Lamb Chop. I'll help keep her going". Lewis had never attempted to imitate Lamb Chop's voice but upon receiving a posthumous award for Shari, Lewis performed with the puppet, discovering that she had her mother's ability to affect the voice without lip movement.
Lewis performs extensively for military support organizations such as the USO and the Fisher House Foundation, performing arts centers, and at state fairs around the country. In 2002, Lewis helped raise $275,000 for UCLA's Neuro-Oncology Program. as well as being a founder of Jump For The Cause a women's world record skydiving organization that has raised nearly 2mil for Breast Cancer Research. Lewis is also on the board of the Blue Ribbon.
Lewis was the co-host of the 2014 AMG Heritage Awards with host Billy Gilman and David L Cook. During the broadcast she accepted the Sandy Hosey Lifetime Achievement Award presented by the Artists Music Guild.
|“||It's not the same thing as brothers and sisters, but it's all she got.||”|
- Shari Lewis, on 12-year-old Mallory Lewis' relationship to Lamb Chop.
|“||It’s essentially indistinguishable.||”|
- Jeremy Tarcher, on Mallory Lewis performing Lamb Chop's voice for the first time.
|“||But then when my mom died, I could. I just let it go and she lives!||”|
- Mallory Lewis, on hearing Lamb Chop's voice again.
- Lisa Chase (29 September 2007). "Shari Lewis' daughter gives babies a hand with ABC's". Daily News. Retrieved 22 May 2010.
- Lynne Heffley (September 20, 2007). "Like mom, she's in the family business - Los Angeles Times". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 22 May 2010.
- "CNN - 'Lamb Chop' creator Shari Lewis dead at 64 - August 2, 1998". CNN. August 3, 1998. Retrieved 22 May 2010.
- "Master Puppeteer Shari Lewis & Publisher Jeremy Tarcher: It's Not a Match Between Dummies". People. February 2, 1976. Retrieved 22 May 2010.
- J.C. Johnson (2005). "SHARI LEWIS: Shari Had a Little Lamb…And Turned a Simple Sock Into a Superstar". TalkingComedy.com. Retrieved 22 May 2010.
- "Lamb Chop Is Now In The Capable Hands Of Mallory Lewis". Google News. Kentucky New Era. June 1, 2001. Retrieved 22 May 2010.
- Judi Kaufman (2002). "Art of the Brain UCLA Neuro-Oncology Program". Neoplasia Press Inc. NIH. 4 (2): 181–183. doi:10.1038/sj.neo.7900228. PMC 1550327.
- Lewis, Mallory. "Lewis Co-Hosts the 2014 AMG Heritage Awards". American Towns News Organization. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- Cordova, Randy. "Shari Lewis' daughter keeps Lamb Chop alive, in Mesa 1/5". azcentral.
- Bucksbaum, Sydney (November 2, 2010). "The return of Lamb Chop, and the woman who brought her back". Oy!Chicago. Jewish United Fund of Metropolitan Chicago. Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- "Who is Mallory Lewis?". kidsfirst.org. 2010. Retrieved 22 May 2010.
- "HELP UNLOCK YOUR CHILD'S IMAGINATION!". American Chronicle. January 3, 2008. Retrieved 22 May 2010.
- Mallory Lewis and Lamb Chop Retrieved 2010-05-22.