Malvasia di Castelnuovo Don Bosco
|Malvasia di Castelnuovo Don Bosco|
|Decree of institution||20 September 1973 |
|Gazzetta Ufficiale||28 January 1974,|
|Maximum grape yield||70%|
(77 hectolitres per hectare)
|Alcohol by volume of grape (natural)||10.0%|
|Alcohol by volume of wine (minimum)||10.5%|
(This is the alcohol which would be present if the must were fermented to completion. However the sweet spumante versions typically have an actual ABV of 5.5% – 7%)
|Net dry extract (minimum)||15.0‰|
|Origin||Piedmont: Province of Asti|
|Ingredient grapes||Malvasia di Schierano: 85.0% - 100.0%|
Freisa: 0.0% - 15.0%
Malvasia di Castelnuovo Don Bosco is a sweet, sparkling, red or rosé DOC dessert wine produced in the Italian province of Asti from the Malvasia di Schierano grape variety with the optional addition of up to 15% Freisa.
The wine is cherry red in colour with an aroma typical of the grape and ‘reminiscent of dog roses and scents of red berries.’ The flavour is sweet and aromatic with characteristic tannins. It is made in both lightly (frizzante) and fully sparkling (spumante) versions; the regulations also permit it to be made as a still wine.
The production regulations require that the grapes are grown on the hills within the borders of the following communes of the Province of Asti: Albugnano, Castelnuovo Don Bosco, Passerano Marmorito, Pino d’Asti, Berzano di San Pietro and Moncucco Torinese. The wine itself is preferably made in the same area, however vinification is allowed elsewhere in the Province of Asti and the wine is currently produced also in wineries in Cocconato and Calosso.
|Year||Vines (ha)||Wine (hl)|
- The date of the original ministerial decree as given in the Disciplinare di produzione
- Consorzio Tutela Vini d’Asti e del Monferrato
- "Denominazione di origine controllata: Disciplinare di produzione dei vini a denominazione di origine controllata "Malvasia di Castelnuovo Don Bosco"" (PDF) (in Italian).
- "Malvasia di Castelnuovo Don Bosco". Consorzio Tutela Vini d’Asti e del Monferrato. (See also the linked pages.)
- "Malvasia di Castelnuovo Don Bosco" (PDF) (in Italian). Regione Piemonte.