|Marc J. Gergely|
|Member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives
from the 35th district
January 7, 2003
|Preceded by||Thomas A. Michlovic|
October 17, 1969 |
|Children||Nicole, Andrew(AJ), Olivia|
|Residence||White Oak, Pennsylvania|
|Alma mater||Indiana University of Pennsylvania|
Marc J. Gergely (born October 17, 1969) is a Democratic Party member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives representing the 35th District and was elected in 2002. He is the Deputy Whip and is the only Democrat from Allegheny County to serve on the Labor Committee.
Gergely attended Indiana University of Pennsylvania. He began his working career by working for state Senator Albert "Buddy" Belan. He became the head of the McKeesport, Pennsylvania school district at age 26.
In 2006 Gergely defeated former Duquesne Mayor George Matta II (53% - 47%). Matta ran what the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette called a "deceptive campaign". Matta falsely claimed Gergely voted for, and took, the controversial 2005 late night pay-raise. The Post-Gazette said, "At first such advertising would seem to be the product of some political Darth Vader. But given how easily it is debunked, it is more like the work of Vader's dim-witted brother.... We don't know who George Matta's media mastermind is, but the person should be fired. And Mr. Matta owes an apology to the Post-Gazette and the people of the 35th District -- they, as much as Rep. Gergely, have been the victims of a campaign of misinformation." 
On September 7, 2013, Gergely was linked to an illegal gambling operation. He released a statement on September 9, 2013, described by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette as "vague" and revealing little about the "relationship" he is recorded alluding to with Mr. Ronald "Pork" Melocchi. In Auguest of 2017, Gergely pleaded guilty to counts of conspiracy and accepting an illegal campaign contribution.
- "SESSION OF 2003 - 187TH OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY - No. 1" (PDF). Legislative Journal. Pennsylvania House of Representatives. 2003-01-07.
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Editorial Page, Gergely in the 35th / Matta should apologize for a deceptive campaign, April 27, 2006
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- Pennsylvania House of Representatives - Marc J. Gergely official PA House website
- Profile at Project Vote Smart
- Follow the Money - Marc Gergely
- Pennsylvania House Democratic Caucus - Rep. Marc Gergely official Party website
- Editorial: Gergely in the 35th / Matta should apologize for a deceptive campaign Philadelphia Post-Gazette, April 27, 2006