|Chief of Staff of U.S. Customs and Border Protection|
January 21, 2009 – 2011
|Preceded by||Thad Bingel|
|Director of the Arizona Department of Commerce|
January 6, 2008 – January 20, 2009
|Preceded by||Jan Lesher|
|Succeeded by||Kent Ennis (Acting)|
April 7, 1978 |
|Alma mater||University of Arizona|
Marco Antonio Lopez (born April 7, 1978) is an Arizona politician. He has served in both elected and non-elected public offices, including Mayor of Nogales, Arizona, Executive Director of the Arizona-Mexico Commission, Policy Adviser to Governor Janet Napolitano for Mexico and Latin America, and Senior Adviser for International Affairs to the Governor. Born in Nogales, Sonora, Mexico, and raised in Nogales, Arizona, United States, he graduated from the University of Arizona. Lopez served at the Arizona State Capitol as Director of the Arizona Department of Commerce appointed by Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano. With the Homeland Security Nomination made for Napolitano. Lopez was appointed to serve as the Chief of Staff for United Customs and Border Protection.
In 2011, Lopez founded Intermestic Partners, one of the top international business development and political advisory firms in North America. Through Intermestic Partners, Lopez represents numerous Fortune 100 companies doing business between the United States and Latin America. Aside from advising top businesses and executives, he has worked with numerous political leaders in the United States and Latin America.
Marco is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations.
- Congressional page in 1994 in Washington, D.C. for U.S. Rep. Ed Pastor, D-Phoenix
- Advance team in 1998 for Al Gore's presidential campaign; joined the presidential campaign in 1999
- Mayor of Nogales, Arizona 2001-2004
- Executive Director of Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano's Arizona-Mexico Commission
- Latin American Policy Advisor to Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano
- Senior Adviser to the Governor
In December 2003, Lopez was appointed by Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano as the Executive Director of the Arizona-Mexico Commission. Later, he was designated as state Policy Adviser for Latin America, which is a Cabinet-level division of the Governor's office responsible for overseeing and coordinating all international Latin American affairs for the State of Arizona. In late 2006 Governor Napolitano promoted Lopez to be her Senior Adviser where he advised her on the State's political relationship with other countries and Arizona's trade relationship with Mexico, Canada, Europe, the Asia-Pacific, and Japan. In late 2008, Lopez was appointed by Napolitano to serve as Director of the Arizona Department of Commerce, overseeing the state's economic development efforts and managing Arizona's investment policies.
Lopez has stated publicly that he will enter elected politics after his successful business career.
Lopez earned a bachelor's degree in liberal studies and political science from the University of Arizona.
- Arizona Republic: Marco Lopez
- Nogales International: Ex-Mayor Lopez Jr. advising governor on international issues
- Mexicano asesora a Gobernadora Napolitano
- Es mexicano y nació en Nogales, Sonora. Funcionario de Arizona lleva la realidad binacional a las oficinas públicas
- Pinal County's first Cesar E. Chavez Celebration Dinner Friday included inspirational words from the grandson of the famed labor and civil rights leader and Marco Lopez