Bastashevski in 2016
|Years active||From 2007|
|Known for||Her long term investigative art work "State Business"|
Mari Bastashevski (born 1980) is a Russian-Danish artist, researcher, and author who tackles themes that range from visual representation of conflict economies, to mass surveillance industry, and possibilities of critical art practice today.
Pete Brook writing for the Medium Matter, described her work in the following manner "What you will read below is the result of Mari Bastashevski’s year-long investigation into the trade of cyber-surveillance systems to oppressive nation states. 12 months of searching for trails of paper work, filing freedom of information requests, interviewing and protecting sources, and corroborating their statements. This is a narrative built upon information that’s incredibly difficult to verify. Outside of the community of privacy advocates and cyber-surveillance researchers, no-one really saw this story, or necessarily knew what it was or why it mattered. That’s because everything that Bastashevski was looking at — or looking for — is invisible, confidential or both. Bastashevki makes photographs, in many ways, to show her stories cannot be photographed. These images are way-markers along roads of discovery.”
In 2017 she was named a fellow at Data and Society foundation and also a grantee at IASPIS. She is also a visiting fellow at Yale Information Society Project and a recipient of a 2017 production grant from the Magnum Foundation and the MAST Foundation.
Her ongoing project “State Business” is a counter-forensic research about the relationship between state officials and companies that fuel and sustain the crises in status quo and makes violence a norm. It locates the spaces of decision making where international conflict commerce is a daily routine, and investigates if the established culture of obfuscation and relationship in which it's represented in the media indefinitely sustains the industry. In 2017 she concluded a project ’10.000 things out of China’ a work that redefines the global factory and navigates through violent, complex, and politically ambiguous universe of logistics by which products and the images that make them desirable reach the households in Europe and the United States. She other late projects include “It’s Nothing Personal” an installation that collocates the technocratic language and neutral space of surveillance firms with the testimonies of individuals affected by surveillance technology; an installation ZimTm, a self-reflective critique accompanied by an essay and an automaton twitting photo robot as a stand-in for an artist.
Previously she also worked on projects about organised crime, finance, and media network in build up for the 2014 revolution and the ensuing war Ukraine and on abduction as a concealment tactic became prevalent during the second Russian-Chechen war North Caucasus.
Select exhibitions and events
- Freiburg, Germany 10.000 THINGS OUT OF CHINA OCT 12, 2017- NOV 11, 2017 Gallery E-werks
- Stockholm, Sweden STATE BUSINESS SEP, 2017 - NOV, 2017 Bonniers Konsthall
- Berling, Germany IT'S NOTHING PERSONAL FEB, 2017 - JUL, 2017
- Detroit, USA EMERGENCY MANAGERS MAR 8, 2017 POPPS Packing, Detroit, Michigan
- New York, USA AROUND THE WORLD WITH SURVEILLANCE DEC 17, 2016 The Glass Room
- Hong-Kong ZIMtm DEC 10, 2016- MAR 05, 2017 Para Site Gallery
- New York, USA THE SECRET IMAGE- PUBLIC TALK DEC 7, 2016
- Magnum Foundation New Haven, USA THE SECRET IMAGE- SEMINAR NOV 16, 2016
- Yale law school New Haven, USA INVESTIGATIVE RESEARCH COMPARING METHODS Nov 8
- Yale Jackson Institute New Haven, USA FROM ARENDT TO METADATA IN UKRAINE LECTURE OCT 25, 2016 Yale New-Haven, USA
- MONEY TALK: INSTITUTIONAL CRITIQUE & MEANS OF PRODUCTION OCT 13 Yale School of Art
- New Haven, USA PHOTOGRAPHY AS AGENCY- PUBLIC TALK WITH PETE BROOK OCT 6, 2016 Yale Law School
- Berlin, Germany SHREDS OF ACCOUNTABILITY MAR 11 – MAY 9, 2016 Haus der Kulturen der Welt
- Dresden, Germany EMPTY WITH A WIFF OF BLOOD & FUMES OCT, 2015 Day in Day out - Exhibition & Panel Discussion at Geh8
- New York, USA IT IS NOTHING PERSONAL SEP, 2015 Exhibition - Photoville, New York
- Groningen, Netherlands IT'S NOTHING PERSONAL AUG, 2015- Exhibition -DATARUSH Old Sugar Factory.
- Montreal, Canada IT'S NOTHING PERSONAL FEB, 2015 Exhibition - Art Souterrain
Bastashevski's publications cover the following.
- BuzzFeed 24 HOURS AT THE FOXCONN FACTORY Text & Photographs, 2016
- E-flux THE PERFECT CON text & photographs
- Medium Matter PANOPTICON FOR SALE Text & Photographs, 2015
- Motherboard, Vice WE DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH NORTH KOREA Text & Photographs, 2015
- Courrier International N 127 EXPOSER BIG BROTHER Text & Photographs, 2015 (in French)
- Privacy International PRIVATE INTERES: MONITORING CENTRAL ASIA Field research, text (co-author), photographs, 2014
- Musée de l'Elysée STATE BUSINESS CHAPTER III Text & Photographs, 2015
- Galerie Pangée EMPTY WITH A WHIFF OF BLOOD & FUMES Text, Interview, Photographs, 2015
- Souciant Magazine THE TYMOSHENKO PROBLEM - PROFILE Text & Photographs, 2014
- Le Monde Magazine LA DIVA PUNK DE MAIDAN Photographs, 2014
- Le Monde CITY OF LEAKS Photographs, 2014
- Le Monde ANTONOV - PROFILE Photographs, 2014
- Le Monde THE FAR RIGHT IN UKRAINE Research & Photographs, 2014
- Revue XXI Magazine TRAFFIC Longform (in French) in print only, edition JAN 2013
- The International Center for Transitional Justice FILE 126- ESSAY Text & Photographs, 2014
- "Mari Bastashevski". IASPIS Konstnarsnamnden. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- Tactical Tech. "Exposing the Invisible". Tactical Tech.
- Brook, Pete. "Panopticon for Sale". Medium. Medium Matter. Retrieved 14 October 2017.
- Data and Society. "fellows announcement". Retrieved 14 October 2017.
- Magnum Foundation. "Announced Grantees" (PDF). Retrieved 14 October 2017.
- "Photography Grant on Industry and Work". MAST Foundation. Retrieved 14 October 2017.
- "Mari Bastashevski". Maurice R. Greenberg World Fellows Program. Yale. Retrieved 14 October 2017.
- PhotoVille. "data rush". Retrieved 14 October 2017.
- e-flux magazine. "Perfect Con". e-flux. e-flux. Retrieved 14 October 2017.
- Twitter. "Automaton". Retrieved 14 October 2017.
- Empty with a Whiff of Blood & Fumes. Canada: Galerie Pangée.
- Barry, Ellen (July 13, 2010). "Empty Chairs, Empty Tables, Empty Beds". Lens. The New York Times. Retrieved 14 October 2017.