The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (December 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||16 October 1984|
Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, England
Life and career
Mariam grew up in Gateshead, England, playing the classical piano. She first developed an interest in DJing at the age of fifteen and began writing music at this time. Her interest in writing with turntables developed a little while later, as she was competing in local and national DJ competitions.
Mariam Rezaei is the Musical Director of NOISESTRA, a turntable ensemble of young people who are residents at the Old Police House in Gateshead. She is also the musical director of Northern Proud Voices, an LBGT choir based in Newcastle. She is currently researching the poetry of the Persian poet, Rumi, and the aesthetic of the Lion as Ego, the dichotomy between Intellect and Love and its relationship with Art. 
For the 2012 Cultural Olympiad, she composed for NOISESTRA, to perform with Apartment House at the Sage Gateshead, 2012 and Edinburgh in 2013. She was invited by Ilan Volkov as a guest improviser for the BBC Proms 47 in 2012, at the John Cage Centenary Celebration. She performed 'Jig Hop' with Kathryn Tickell and Folkestra for the BT River of Music Festival as part of the 2012 Cultural Olympiad, in Trafalgar Square.
She performed graphic scores by Richard Dawson, developing new work as Wax Magnetic, a new BFI commission for 'Der Golem' with Noize Choir, 'SuperDream' with Isis Arts, Swallows Foundation, British Council ZA and The Trinity Session ZA. Other recent commissions include Olavsfestdagene, Norway, for Turntable Quartet, Solo voice and Double Bassist Michael Duch, and 'INSiiiDE' an ensemble piece for Ilan Volkov, Tectonics Festival, Tel Aviv. 'ANX' was a commission for TECTONICS GLASGOW and the BBC, for members of the BBC SSO and Glasgow Improvisers Orchestra, premiered on 1 May and broadcast on BBC Radio 3. With support from Arts Council England, Mariam began the first ever composer residency at the Literary and Philosophical Society Library, Newcastle, in May 2014, working with Neil Davidson (Glasgow), Rhodri Davies (Gateshead) and Michael Duch (Norway) in short term research projects.
Mariam composes and performs in theatre including 'Flock' and 'Cinema' by ZENDEH, 'Beats North' by Curious Monkey, both in 2015 'Into Thin Air' by Precious Cargo, 'Here Is The News' Northern Stage and Lorne Campbell, 'Your Aunt Fanny', Live Theatre and 'Jumping Puddles' by Open Clasp Theatre Co.
- "History". Northern Proud Voices. 2015. Retrieved 29 January 2016.[dead link]
- "Scottish Symphony Orchestra, Attila Csihar & Mariam Rezaei at Tectonics Glasgow 2015". BBC. Retrieved 21 November 2015.
- "Theatre festival returns to Darlington to entertain audiences (From The Northern Echo)". Thenorthernecho.co.uk. Retrieved 21 November 2015.
- "Home". Northern Proud Voices. 25 March 2011. Retrieved 21 November 2015.
- "BBC Proms 2012: Concerts and Events – Various". Books.google.co.uk. 20 April 2012. Retrieved 21 November 2015.
- "Tectonics festival". Tectonics festival. Retrieved 21 November 2015.[dead link]
- "VIDEO: Sage Gateshead presents JigHop at Sage Gateshead". Sagegateshead.com. 22 July 2012. Archived from the original on 22 November 2015. Retrieved 21 November 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Noize Choir – After a sell out show at the Star and Shadow..." Facebook. 26 March 2014. Retrieved 21 November 2015.[non-primary source needed]
- "Superdream UK". ISIS Arts. 19 July 2014. Retrieved 21 November 2015.[dead link]
- Charlotte Higgins. "Helen Shaddock: December 2014". Helenshaddock.blogspot.co.uk. Retrieved 21 November 2015.
- "Award-winning, unforgettable theatre". ZENDEH. Retrieved 21 November 2015.[dead link]
- "Beats North | Curious Monkey". Curiousmonkeytheatre.com. 5 December 2013. Retrieved 21 November 2015.
- "Our Shows". Preciouscargotheatre.com. Retrieved 21 November 2015.[dead link]
- "Theatre in Edinburgh: Northern Stage at Summerhall – What's On – Here is the News from Over There, Over There is the News from Here". Northernstage.co.uk. Archived from the original on 22 November 2015. Retrieved 21 November 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "All girl sketch group Your Aunt Fanny debut at this year's Edinburgh Festival Fringe | Live Theatre". Live.org.uk. 28 July 2015. Retrieved 21 November 2015.[dead link]
- "Open Clasp Theatre Company – Jumping Puddles". Openclasp.org.uk. Retrieved 21 November 2015.[dead link]
- Wonfor, Sam (14 July 2015). "Culture Awards Alumni: The Class of 2012". The Journal. Retrieved 21 November 2015.
- "Mariam Rezaei | Youth Music Network". Network.youthmusic.org.uk. Retrieved 21 November 2015.[dead link]
- Luke Barnes. "Beats North". Amazon.com. ISBN 9781783191710. Retrieved 21 November 2015.
- Mark Katz. "Groove Music: The Art and Culture of the Hip-Hop DJ". Books.google.co.uk. Retrieved 21 November 2015.