||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Marianne Smit has played the harp since 1995. She got her first harp lessons from her mother Gertru Smit-Pasveer. After one year she became student of Anke Anderson.
As of September 1998 she became a student of Erika Waardenburg, first in the Young-Talent department, later in the pre-music-academy of Amsterdam. In June 2007 she graduated ‘cum laude’ on her Bachelor exam. She's currently in the second year of studies for a Masters diploma.
Marianne has participated in an audition training with Petra van der Heide (harpist from the Dutch Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra). In this course she won the first prize which resulted in her participation in two concerts with the Dutch Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra. She also played several times in productions with the Dutch Radio Philharmonic Orchestra. 
World-renowned composer Karlheinz Stockhausen composed a piece for Marianne Smit and Esther Kooi. This new composition, Freude for two harps from the Klang cycle, premiered on June 7, 2006 in the Duomo of Milan .
- Karlheinz Stockhausen - Freude für 2 Harfen, 2. Stunde aus Klang (Die 24 Stunden des Tages), Marianne Smit and Esther Kooi (2006) [full citation needed]
- Strings Attached, Dutch Youth String Orchestra, conductor Johannes Leertouwer, with Marianne Smit and Giselle Boeters in Concertino in an Old Style by Maciej Malecki (2007) [full citation needed]
- Prinses Christina Concours: 1st prize 1998 & 2002
- SJMN Musictalent Concours: 1st prize 1998, 2002 & 2004
- Dutch National Harpconcours: Finalist 2000
- Freude (Joy) - Stockhausen: World Premiere Milan 2006 
- Royal Philharmonic Society (RPS) Music Award (UK): Nomination for performance in season 2008