Marie L. Garibaldi
Marie Louise Garibaldi (November 26, 1934 – January 15, 2016) was an Associate Justice of the New Jersey Supreme Court. When appointed by Governor Thomas Kean in 1982, Garibaldi became the first woman to serve on New Jersey's highest court. She retired in 2000.
Born in Jersey City, New Jersey, Garibaldi was a resident of Weehawken, New Jersey. She attended Stevens Hoboken Academy. A 1956 graduate of Connecticut College, she received her LL.B. from Columbia University in 1959 and her LL.M. in tax law from New York University School of Law in 1963. Garibaldi became a member of the New York bar in 1960 and of the New Jersey bar in 1966. She is also admitted to the bar of the District of Columbia.
In 1968 and 1969, Garibaldi chaired the Weehawken Charter Commission and was a judge of that town's municipal court from 1973 to 1975.
At the time of her appointment to the Supreme Court, Garibaldi was a partner in the law firm of Riker, Danzig, Scherer, Hyland & Perretti. In addition to being the first woman on the Supreme Court, she also was the first woman to serve as President of the New Jersey State Bar Association.
She authored more than 225 opinions while on the Supreme Court and was known for her advocacy of complementary dispute resolution. She chaired the Supreme Court's committee on that subject, and in 1998, the American Inns of Court Foundation established the Justice Marie L. Garibaldi American Inn of Court for Alternative Dispute Resolution.
Garibaldi also served as a director of the State Chamber of Commerce, New Jersey Bell Telephone Co., and the Washington Savings Bank. She also has been a trustee of St. Peter's College.
In 2010, Garibaldi was one of eight retired New Jersey Supreme Court Justices who issued a joint statement asking Governor Chris Christie to reconsider his decision not to re-appoint then-Justice John Wallace. She died on January 15, 2016, at the age of 81.
- Roberts, Sam (19 January 2016). "Marie Garibaldi, First Woman on New Jersey Supreme Court, Dies at 81". New York Times. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- "Justice Marie L. Garibaldi Announces Her Retirement From the Supreme Court" Archived 2015-12-08 at the Wayback Machine, New Jersey Courts, December 22, 1999. Accessed December 8, 2015.
- Marie L. Garibaldi, New Jersey Women's History. Accessed December 8, 2015.
- "N.J.'s first female Supreme Court justice to be memorialized". NJ.com. Retrieved November 6, 2017.
- Rizzo, Salvador. "Revered legal pioneer Marie L. Garibaldi, first woman on N.J. Supreme Court, dies at 81", The Record (Bergen County), January 15, 2016. Accessed December 24, 2018. "Garibaldi, a Catholic, studied at Stevens Hoboken Academy, a private school, and went on to Connecticut College, Columbia Law School and later studied tax law at New York University, a field she mastered during her early career in private practice."
- "Justice L. Marie Garibaldi". Bloomberg Business. Retrieved 14 December 2015.
- Peggy Ackermann. "8 retired NJ Supreme Court justices ask Gov. Chris Christie to reconsider Wallace reappointment". NorthJersey.com.
- The Associated Press. "First woman to serve on New Jersey high court dies". Newsday.
- SALVADOR RIZZO. "Retired NJ Supreme Court justice Marie L. Garibaldi dies". NorthJersey.com.