|Born||Martina Diederika Bok
January 17, 1943
|Died||June 12, 2017
|Education||Royal Academy of Art, The Hague|
|Known for||Painting, printmaking, drawing|
|Notable work||The Gentlemen's club, Beatrix of the Netherlands, President of the Supreme Court, Conductor of The Royal Theater The Hague|
|Spouse(s)||Rinus van den Bosch|
Marike Bok (17 January 1943 – 12 June 2017) was a Dutch portrait painter.
Life and work
Bok studied at the Royal Art Academy in The Hague. She's often compared with other Dutch painters from the 17th century. Marike Bok painted the Dutch Queen Beatrix twice. In 1995 she painted the Gentleman's Club (De heren club). This painting is a group portrait of some well-known Dutch artists and politicians like Marcel van Dam, Harry Mulisch, Hans van Mierlo, Reinbert de Leeuw, Martin Veltman, Gerrit Komrij, Adriaan van Dis and André Spoor. In 2011 she painted former prime minister of the Netherlands Ruud Lubbers. Marike Bok was often compared with classic Dutch painters like Frans Hals because of her technique and also because she was the only modern portrait painter who never worked from photographs and exactly painted like the old Dutch masters.
Portraits by Marike Bok
Portrait of Beatrix of the Netherlands (1995), painted by Marike Bok.
List of famous people portrayed
- Queen Beatrix - Queen of the Netherlands
- Professor Boering
- Diederiekje Bok - writer
- Els Borst - Minister of Healthcare Netherlands
- W.L. Brugsma - author
- Dolf Cohen - historian
- Marcel van Dam - Dutch politician and television presenter
- Adriaan van Dis - author
- Dick Dolman - speaker of the House of Representatives of the Netherlands
- Frits Duparc - director of Mauritshuis
- Eddy Habbema - creative director of the Royal Theater The Hague
- Jeroen Henneman - artist
- Chiem van Houweninge - actor
- Annemarie Jorritsma - Minister of Economic Affairs
- Gerrit Komrij - author
- Kees Kramer - director of Hotel Des Indes
- Lammert Leertouwer - president of Leiden University
- Reinbert de Leeuw - conductor
- Frank Letterie - sculptor
- Ruud Lubbers - Prime Minister of The Netherlands
- Ad van Luyn - bishop of Rotterdam
- Siep Martens - president of the Dutch Supreme Court
- Hein Mevissen - director, artist
- Hans van Mierlo - politician
- Harry Mulisch - author
- Jeltje van Nieuwenhoven (1996) - Speaker of the House of Representatives of the Netherlands
- Cees Nooteboom - author
- Willem Otterspeer - author
- Sjoerd Royer - president of the Dutch Supreme Court
- Mineke Schipper - professor, author
- André Spoor - chief editor NRC Handelsblad
- Max van der Stoel - Minister of State from the Netherlands
- Coen Stork - ambassador
- Jaap Vegter - cartoonist
- Ernst van de Wetering - art historian
In 2016 Marike Bok suffered from a stroke that made painting in the last year before she deceased very difficult. In September 2017 the book Marike Bok was published. A biography of her life and work. the author is Diederiekje Bok.
- Marike Bok, ogen van een klok (2017), (Dutch) Diederiekje Bok, ISBN 9789082737202
- Rinus (2017), (Dutch) Willem Otterspeer, ISBN 9789072603111
- Flarden van een stem (2009), (Dutch) Willem Otterspeer, ISBN 9789023456810
- 1995 Museum Mesdag, The Hague (The Netherlands) Portrait Queen Beatrix (Exhibition)
- 1996 Historical Museum, Amsterdam. Painting 'De Herenclub' (Gentleman's club)
- 1997 Tweede Kamer, The Hague (The Netherlands) Portrait Dick Dolman
- 1998 Oranje Boven, Portrait Queen Beatrix
- 2000 Nieuwspoort, The Hague (The Netherlands) Minister Jorritsma
- 2000 Hoge Raad der Nederlanden (Generaal B.A.C. Droste)
- 2000 Dutch Royal Air Force portrait gallery
- 2000 Pulchri Studio, The Hague (The Netherlands)
- 2002 Pulchri Studio, The Hague (The Netherlands)
- "Het elan van Marike Bok" (in Dutch). 2002.
- "Marike Bok Collection". Marike Bok memorial (in Dutch). Jan 20, 2016.
- "Portretten Koningin te koop". Trouw (in Dutch). Oct 9, 1995.
- "De koningin in 4 smaken". De Volkskrant (in Dutch). Oct 7, 1995.
- "The Gentleman's club (De Herenclub)" (in Dutch). ANP. Oct 11, 1996.
- Waard, Peter de. "Portretschilder die niet het uiterlijk, maar de persoon verbeeldde". De Volkskrant. Retrieved 27 July 2017.
- "Marike Bok, de Frans Hals van de 21ste eeuw" (in Dutch). The Post Online. Oct 30, 2017.
- "Portretschilder die niet het uiterlijk, maar de persoon verbeeldde". Volkskrant (in Dutch). July 20, 2017.
- "Portretten Koningin te koop" (in Dutch). September 23, 2017.
- "Exhibitions" (in Dutch). 2002.