She has taught English at the high school level in both Indiana and D.C., and is politically active. Lerch has worked towards LGBT rights and volunteered with PFLAG Canada. Lerch moved to Sackville, New Brunswick in 1996. She served as President of the Writers' Federation of New Brunswick from 2006 to 2010. In addition to her activism, Lerch has taught creative writing at Westmoreland Prison, Springhill, and Dorchester. Lerch is currently teaching Memoir at Tantramar Seniors' College.
- 2001: Lambs & Llamas, Ewes & Me (Springbank Press)
- 2004: Moon Loves Its Light (Morgaine House)
- 2008: Witness and Resist (Morgaine House) ISBN 0-9732787-6-5
- 2009: Breaking the Word Barrier: Stories of Adults Learning to Read, co-edited with Angela Ranson (Goose Lane) ISBN 0-86492-547-6
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-09-28. Retrieved 2011-08-08.