This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Dr. Mark Chignell|
Chignell in 2009
June 17, 1956 |
|Institutions||University of Toronto|
Dr. Mark Chignell (born June 17, 1956) is a tenured Professor of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering (with a status-only Cross Appointment to the Department of Computer Science at the University of Toronto, Canada). In January 2013, he was appointed director of the Knowledge Media Design Institute at the University of Toronto.
He is also a Visiting Scientist at the IBM Centre for Advanced Studies. He joined the University of Toronto as an Associate Professor of Industrial Engineering in 1990.
Chignell received a B.Sc. (1st class Hons.) in Psychology from the University of Canterbury, New Zealand in 1977, and an M.S. in Industrial and Systems Engineering, from the Ohio State University (1984). He has a Ph.D. in Psychology (specializing in mathematical psychology) and his supervisor was Professor Robert A. M. Gregson from the University of Canterbury, New Zealand (1981). He was also an Assistant Professor at the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, University of Southern California from 1984 to 1990.
In 2003, Chignell founded Vocalage Inc., a company that does usability consulting, outsourced research, and software development.
Dr. Chignell is an expert in user interface design viewed from a human factors perspective. His research interests include healthcare ergonomics and the design of healthcare interfaces, social robotics, mobile computing, and social media. Chignell is also interested in how devices and applications can measure and amplify human capability.
Chignell was born in Ongar, Essex (near London, England) on June 17, 1956. When he was 3 his family moved to Singapore, where his father taught at a school for Royal Air Force family members. When he was 6 his family moved to Christchurch, New Zealand. He attended St. Andrew's College in Christchurch from 1967 through 1973.
Dr. Chignell was a tutor in the Department of Psychology at Monash University (Melbourne, Australia) from February 1980 to April 1982. He then did a Postdoctoral Fellowship in the Human Performance Laboratory at The Ohio State University from May 1982 through April 1983, under the supervision of Professor Lester E. Krueger (now deceased).
From September 1984 to June 1990 he was an Assistant Professor of Industrial Engineering at the University of Southern California.
From May 1989 to August 1989 he was a Visiting Scientist in the Institute of Systems Science in Singapore
From May 1990 to August 1990 he was again a Visiting Scientist in the Institute of Systems Science in Singapore
Since 2002 he has been a Visiting Scientist in the IBM Centre for Advanced Studies in Toronto, Canada
From 2005 to 2010 he was a Visiting Scientist at Keio University (Shonan-Fujisawa Campus) in Japan
From May 2005 to July 2005 he was the recipient of a short-term JSPS Fellowship (working with Professor Michiaki Yasumura at Keio University in Japan).
From December 2006 to July 2007 he was the recipient of a long-term JSPS Fellowship (working with Professor Michiaki Yasumura at Keio University in Japan).
He teaches an undergraduate course on Ergonomic Design of Information Systems, and a graduate course on Design and Analysis of Human Factors Experiments. Since 2010 he has taught an introduction to psychological science for engineers. He formerly taught a course on Ergonomics in the Industrial Workplace. All of these courses were taught in the Mechanical and Industrial Engineering Department at the University of Toronto.
Training of Highly Qualified Persons (HQPs)
Chignell has graduated over 20 Ph.Ds. Prominent examples include: Mica Endsley an expert on situation awareness and former Chief Scientist of the U.S. Air Force; the late Gene Golovchinsky, former senior research scientist at the FXPAL; and Nipon Charoenkitkarn, Dean of the School of Information Technology, King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi (Bangkok, Thailand). Other graduates from Chignell's lab have, or have had, faculty positions at the National University of Singapore, Laval University (Quebec City), Rutgers University, and Ryerson University.
- http://kmdi.utoronto.ca/story/2013/01/kmdi-announces-new-director-collaborative-program-director-and-executive-committee[permanent dead link]
- Buckler, Grant (October 1, 2004). "Wireless content at work: why are we still making trivial use of the potential of wireless devices?". Computer Dealer News. Vol. 20 No. 14. Retrieved 19 February 2010.
- Cawfield, Diana (July 7, 2003). "Gadgets to save a lifeWireless on call ; Since the stethoscope, physicians have prized instant sources of vital data Handhelds for doctors on the go are the idea's latest evolution". Toronto Star. p. D-1. Retrieved 19 February 2010.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-12-30. Retrieved 2013-01-20.
- Hancock, P.A. and Chignell, M.H., (Eds.) "Intelligent Interfaces: Theory, Research, and Design", Amsterdam, North Holland, 1989.
- Parsaye, K. and Chignell, M.H. "Expert Systems for Experts", New York, John Wiley & Sons, 1988.
- Parsaye, K., Chignell, M.H., Khoshafian, S. and Wong, H. "Intelligent Databases: Object-Oriented, Deductive Hypermedia Technologies", New York, John Wiley and Sons, 1989.
- Parsaye, K. and Chignell, M.H, "Intelligent Database Applications", New York, John Wiley and Sons, 1993.
- Chignell, M.H., Cordy, J., Ng, J.. and Yesha, Y. "The Smart Internet: Current Research and Future Applications". Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 6400. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 2010. doi:10.1007/978-3-642-16599-3
- Chignell, M., Cordy, J., Kealey, M.R., Ng, J. and Yesha, Y. (Eds). "The Personal Web: A Research Agenda". Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 7855 Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 2013. doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-39995-4