|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2015)|
Mark Innerst (born 1957 in York, PA) is an American painter.
Innerst earned his Bachelor of Fine Arts at Kutztown State College, Kutztown, PA in 1980. He worked as a preparator at the newly formed Metro Pictures Gallery in 1981. There he met Robert Longo and became one of his assistants.
Earlier works by Innerst include the Monochromatic Gray Drawings from the early 1980s, the Ultramarine Blue Paintings from 1984 to 1985, and the Amusement Park Paintings from the late 2000s.
Innerst paints in acrylic on board and oil on canvas. He builds layer upon layer of paint onto the surface, which he keeps flat on a table as he works. Paintings are ultimately glazed and joined with a frame custom-made by Innerst. He also creates many preliminary photographs, drawings, and painted studies. He usually underpaints his paintings in bright red.
- Albright Knox Museum, Buffalo, New York
- Brooklyn Museum, New York
- Dannheisser Foundation, New York
- Emily Fisher Landau, New York
- Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York
- Indianapolis Museum of Art, Indiana
- Jumeirah Essex House, New York
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art, California
- Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
- Munson Williams Proctor Arts Institute, Utica, New York
- Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles, California
- Museum of Contemporary Art, San Diego, California
- Museum of Modern Art, New York
- Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago, Illinois
- Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, MN
- Kernan, Nathan (2003). Mark Innerst. New York: Paul Kasmin Gallery. p. 5.
- Gass, Katherine (2000). Mark Innerst. New York: Paul Kasmin Gallery. p. 5.
- Kernan, Nathan (2003). Mark Innerst. New York: Paul Kasmin Gallery. pp. 7–8.
- Coggins, David. “Mark Innerst: The Ongoing Landscape,” Mark Innerst, exhibition catalogue. New York, NY: DC Moore Gallery, 2012.
- Duncan, Michael. "Mark Innerst: That Other Faraway Place," exhibition catalogue. New York, NY: DC Moore Gallery, 2010.
- Milazzo, Richard. Mark Innerst: Doubt and Delirium (exhibition catalogue). Brussels: Alain Noirhomme Gallery, 2009.
- Milazzo, Richard. Mark Innerst: Painting at the Point of Infinity (exhibition catalogue). Modena: Emilio Mazzoli Galleria d’Arte Contemporanea, 2007.
- Mark Innerst: Places of Wonder (exhibition catalogue) Utica, NY: Munson Williams Proctor Arts Institute, 2005.
- Kernan, Nathan. Mark Innerst, (exhibition catalogue) New York: Paul Kasmin Gallery, 2003.
- Mark Innerst: Paintings and Works on Paper (exhibition catalogue) Los Angeles: Michael Kohn Gallery, 2001.
- Gass, Katherine. Mark Innerst, (exhibition catalogue) New York: Paul Kasmin Gallery, 2000.
- Mark Innerst (exhibition catalogue) London: Faggionato Fine Arts, 1995.
- Rosenblum, Robert, Mark Innerst Paintings and Works on Paper, (exhibition catalogue) New York, NY: Curt Marcus Gallery.
- Mark Innerst at DC Moore Gallery
- DC Moore Gallery to Represent Mark Innerst and Opens First Exhibition with the Artist