Mark Templeton (electronic musician)
|Born||1976 (age 40–41)|
|Genres||electronic, ambient, sound collage|
|Labels||Anticipate Recordings, Staalplaat, Sweat Lodge Guru, Under The Spire|
Templeton utilizes acoustic instruments, found sounds and sampled material to construct textured, collage-like electronic compositions His style has been called 'glitchy', but also 'painterly', in an attempt to describe his deconstruction and crumbling of instruments' traditional voices.
His works have been commissioned by organizations of contemporary dance, film and audiovisual disciplines. Collaborations with experimental filmmakers aAron Munson and Kyle Armstrong and sound artists Nicola Ratti and Ezekiel Honig have produced numerous works on various formats.
Templeton has performed at international festivals and alternative spaces such as MUTEK (Montreal), Unsound Festival (Kraków), send+receive: a festival of sound (Winnipeg), Eat This Festival (Utrecht), Galapagos (New York), Latitude 53 (Edmonton) and Suoni Per Il Popolo Festival (Montreal).
- Fields Awake (2005, Independent) [CD+DVD]
- Frail as Breath (2005, Independent/Robotopera)
- Standing on a Hummingbird (2007, Anticipate Recordings)
- Acre Loss (2009, Anticipate Recordings) [CD+DVD]
- Inland (2009, Anticipate Recordings)
- Sea Point (2009, Anticipate Recordings) [12" vinyl]
- Ballads (2010, Independent)
- Scotch Heart (2011, Sweat Lodge Guru) [cassette]
- Mark Templeton Mort Aux Vaches (2011, Staalplaat)
- Jealous Heart (2013, Under the Spire) [12" vinyl]
- Not a Hummingbird was harmed in the making of Mark Templeton's debut album, Vue Magazine 14 March 2007. Issue 595. Archived 25 August 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- Cokemachineglow, Album Review 1 May 2007 Archived 11 February 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- Aquarius Records, Album Review
- Emusic, Album Review by Philip Sherburne June 2007
- "Ki", Mile Zero Dance. 10 April 2008
- "Edmonton: Explored" Edmonton Cultural Capital Commission 6 Set. 2008
- "If You Missed MUTEK" CBC Radio2 Blog 17 June 2007
- Unsound Festival 22 Oct. 2008
- send+receive: a festival of sound Oct. 13-17, 2009 Archived 2010-04-18 at the Wayback Machine.
- Eat This Media 26 Oct. 2008 Archived 2008-10-22 at the Wayback Machine.
- Galapagos Art Space 15 Feb. 2007 Archived 2008-08-27 at the Wayback Machine.
- Visualeyez 2005 online Journal 21 May 2005
- "Suoni Per il Popolo Festival Celebrates 8 Years!" All About Jazz 26 May 2008[permanent dead link]