Mark W. Johnson
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Johnson has delivered keynotes and written extensively on growth strategy. Most recently, he authored the new book Reinvent Your Business Model: How to Seize the White Space for Transformative Growth, a guide to building a business model innovation capability at an organization, and coauthored Dual Transformation: How to Reposition Today’s Business While Creating the Future, a blueprint for how successful companies can leverage disruptive change to fortify today’s business and create tomorrow’s growth engine.
Johnson’s work has focused on helping companies envision and create new growth, manage transformation, and achieve renewal through business model innovation. This work is the subject of the McKinsey award-winning Harvard Business Review article, “Reinventing Your Business Model,” the business book Seizing the White Space: Business Model Innovation for Growth and Renewal, as well as his forthcoming book Dual Transformation: How to Reposition Today's Business and Create the Future, published by Harvard Business Press, 2017.
Prior to co-founding Innosight, Johnson was a consultant at Booz Allen Hamilton. Before that, he served as a nuclear power-trained surface warfare officer in the U.S. Navy.
Johnson received an MBA from the Harvard Business School, a master's degree in civil engineering and engineering mechanics from Columbia University, and a bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering from the United States Naval Academy. Johnson previously sat on the Board of the United States Naval Institute. He and his wife, Jane Clayson Johnson, and their children live in Belmont, Massachusetts.
- Institutionalizing Innovation Anthony, Scott D.; Johnson, Mark W.; Sinfield, Joseph V. (January 2008), MIT Sloan Management Review.
- Reinventing Your Business Model Johnson, Mark W.; Christensen, Clayton M.; Kagermann, Henning (December 2008), Harvard Business Review.
- New Business Models in Emerging Markets Eyring, Matthew J.; Johnson, Mark W.; Nair, Hari (January 2011), Harvard Business Review.
- The Innovator's Guide to Growth: Putting Disruptive Innovation to Work Anthony, Scott D.; Johnson, Mark W.; Sinfield, Joseph V.; Altman, Elizabeth J. (2008), Boston, Massachusetts, USA: Harvard Business Review Press, ISBN 1591398460.
- Seizing the White Space: Business Model Innovation for Growth and Renewal Johnson, Mark W. (2010), Boston, Massachusetts, USA: Harvard Business Review Press, ISBN 1422124819.
- Dual Transformation: How to Reposition Today's Business and Create the Future Anthony, Scott D.; Gilbert, Clark; Johnson, Mark W. (2017), Boston, Massachusetts, USA: Harvard Business Review Press.ISBN 1633692485
- Reinvent Your Business Model: How to Seize the White Space for Transformative Growth Johnson, Mark W. (2018), Boston, Massachusetts, USA: Harvard Business Review Press.ISBN 1633696464
- Murray, Michael "Disruption Is Not About Slaying Giants But About Serving New Customers", Wall Street Journal, Jan. 23, 2015
- Chien, Chia-Li ", Fox Business, Aug. 5, 2010
- ET Bureau , Economic Times, Mar. 19, 2010