Martha Rhodes (born Boston, Massachusetts) is an American poet, teacher, and publisher. She is author of five poetry collections, most recently The Thin Wall (University of Pittsburgh Press, 2017), "The Beds" (Autumn House Press, 2012), Mother Quiet (Zoo Press, 2004. Her second collection, Perfect Disappearance, won the 2000 Green Rose Prize from New Issues Press). "At the Gate" was released in 1995 from Provincetown Arts Press. She has published poems in many literary journals including AGNI, Fence, Harvard Review, New England Review, Ploughshares, The American Poetry Review, Barrow Street, and TriQuarterly, and in anthologies including The Extraordinary Tide: New Poetry by American Women (Columbia University Press, 2001), and The KGB Bar Book of Poems (Harper Collins, 2000), and The New American Poets: A Bread Loaf Anthology (Bread Loaf Writer's Conference/Middlebury College, 2000).
She received her B.A. from The New School for Social Research and her M.F.A. from the Warren Wilson College MFA Program for Writers. She has taught at The New School University, Emerson College, and at the University of California, Irvine's MFA Program. She currently teaches at Sarah Lawrence College and at the Warren Wilson College MFA Program for Writers and directs the Conference on Poetry at The Frost Place. She is a founding editor and the director of Four Way Books, a literary press in New York City, where she lives with her husband.
"The Thin Wall" ( university of Pittsburgh Press, 2017)
- The Beds (Autumn House. 2012)
- Mother Quiet (Zoo Press, 2004)
- Perfect Disappearance (New Issues Press, 2000)
- At the Gate (Provincetown Arts, 1999)
- Pine Manor College > 2009 Solstice Conference Faculty
- Sarah Lawrence College > Undergraduate Faculty
- Poem: Agni Online > Hose by Martha Rhodes
- Poem: Virginia Quarterly Review > Issue > Autumn 1992 > pp.703-704 > Poetry > Sweeping the Floor by Martha Rhodes
- Poems: Reading Between A and B > Four Poems by Martha Rhodes
- Interview: Downtown Express > Downtown Poets Society:Bards Band together, by Ronda Kaysen > Volume 18, No. 3 > 06/16/05
- Author Website
- New Issues Press > Author Page > Martha Rhodes