Martin Roberts (rugby union)
6 June 1986 |
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|Weight||81 kg (12 st 11 lb)|
|School(s) attended||Neath College|
* Senior club appearances and points correct as of 02:36, 2 December 2013 (UTC).
Born in Aberdare, Roberts began his professional career with Neath RFC, before graduating to the Ospreys regional team, and during his time there would play infrequently for Neath, as well as the Ospreys' other Welsh Premier Division feeder clubs, Swansea and Bridgend. One of Roberts' team-mates at the Ospreys was fly-half James Hook, with whom he formed an effective half-back partnership, after the pair had done the same at both Neath College and Neath RFC.
After three years with the Ospreys, Roberts signed for their regional rivals, the Scarlets, on 27 March 2008, following the departure of former Scarlets scrum-half Dwayne Peel to Sale Sharks. He signed a two-year contract with the Llanelli region, where he would compete with Sililo Martens, Lee Williams and Gavin Cattle for the number 9 jersey.
Roberts was selected for the Wales senior squad for the Autumn international series in October 2008. After Premier Rugby refused to release Peel and Gloucester scrum-half Gareth Cooper for Wales' final Autumn test against Australia, coach Warren Gatland gave Roberts his international debut with a start against Canada on 14 November in an effort to give him a level of international experience ahead of the Australia game.
Roberts made two more appearances for Wales in the 2009 Autumn tests, first coming on for Cooper after 54 minutes of the New Zealand game on 7 November, before replacing Peel for the final eight minutes of the Australia match three weeks later. On 18 January 2010, he was named in the 35-man Wales squad for the 2010 Six Nations Championship.
On 18 March 2011, it was announced that Roberts would join Northampton Saints at the end of the 2010–11 season. Roberts parted company with Northampton Saints at the end of the 2012–13 season and joined Bath Rugby, after the Saints signed scrum-half Kahn Fotuali'i from Roberts' former team, the Ospreys. On 11 July 2014, Roberts re-signed with the Ospreys from the 2014–15 season. In January 2016, Roberts was granted early release from his contract with the Ospreys to join RFU Championship club Bristol on an 18-month deal until the end of the 2016–17 season.
- Verdier, Nick (26 October 2012). "20 Questions: Martin Roberts – Northampton scrum-half". The Rugby Paper. Greenways Publishing. Retrieved 16 March 2016.
- Gallagher, Brendan (21 October 2008). "Gavin Henson returns to Wales squad as Warren Gatland prepares for autumn". Telegraph.co.uk. Telegraph Media Group. Retrieved 16 March 2016.
- Rees, Paul (10 November 2008). "Wales turn to Roberts as Peel sticks with Sale". The Guardian. Guardian News and Media. Retrieved 16 March 2016.
- Roberts, Gareth (14 November 2008). "Wales 34-13 Canada". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). Retrieved 16 March 2016.
- Pope, Bruce (7 November 2009). "Wales 12-19 New Zealand". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). Retrieved 16 March 2016.
- "Wales 12-33 Australia". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). 28 November 2009. Retrieved 16 March 2016.
- "Mike Phillips and Dwayne Peel left out of Wales squad". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). 19 January 2010. Retrieved 16 March 2016.
- "Wales scrum-half Martin Roberts rejoins with Ospreys from Bath". ESPN Scrum. 11 July 2014.
- "Bristol sign former Wales scrum-half Martin Roberts". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). 27 January 2016. Retrieved 24 February 2016.