Maryland University of Integrative Health
|This article about a university or college in Maryland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
Maryland University of Integrative Health, formerly the Tai Sophia Institute, is a private non-profit graduate school of alternative medicine located in Laurel, Maryland. It is a Middle States Commission on Higher Education accredited graduate school with an academic and clinical focus on integrative health, preventative health, and wellness.
The schools current President and CEO is Frank Vitale, M.B.A.
The University was founded by Dianne Connelly and Robert Duggan in 1974 as the College of Chinese Acupuncture, U.S. It was renamed to the Traditional Acupuncture Institute in 1978 to train acupuncturists. In 2000, it was renamed the Tai Sophia Institute and expanded its offerings to include other forms of traditional medicine. In 2003, the institute moved to the Montpelier Research Park in Fulton on the site of the 1740 Montpelier Mansion which was razed by Maple Lawn developers in 1996. In 2012 it was announced that the Institute would be applying for University status. In February 2013 it was announced that the Institute had been awarded University ranking from the state and changed its name to the Maryland University of Integrative Health (MUIH) on March 1, 2013.
The University offers doctoral degrees, master's degrees, graduate certificates, post-master's certificates, post-bachelor's certificates, and continuing education in areas such as acupuncture, oriental medicine, holistic health, and herbal studies.
The University offers curricula in the following branches of integrative medicine:
- Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, Jeff Millison, M.Ac., Dipl.Ac.(NCCAOM), Academic Director
- Health Philosophy and Promotion, Tia Simmons, M.P.H., Academic Director, Health Philosophy and Promotion
- Herbal Medicine, Michael Tims, Ph.D., Academic Director
- Integrative Health Sciences, James Snow, M.A., RH(AHG), Interim Academic Director
- Nutrition and Integrative Health, Liz Lipski, Ph.D., CCN, CHN, CNS, Academic Director.
- Yoga Therapy, Lynne Valdes, M.S., E-RYT 500, Program Director
- "Maryland University of Integrative Health (Laurel,MD)". Tai2.rtrk.com. Retrieved 2013-05-07.
- Heubeck, Elizabeth (2012-03-06). "Healthy Growth: Wellness School Tai Sophia Seeks University Status". BmoreMedia. Retrieved 2012-08-09.
- Joseph Rocco, David L. Stebenne. New City Upon a Hill. p. 114.
- Sharrow, Ryan (2013-02-11). "Tai Sophia earns university status, changes name". Baltimore Business Journal. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- "Academics". MUIH.edu.