Massachusetts Instrumental and Choral Conductors Association
The Massachusetts Instrumental and Choral Conductors Association (MICCA) is a sanctioning body for marching band field contests in the state of Massachusetts. Previous championships were held at the Cawley Memorial Stadium in Lowell, Massachusetts. Its current President is Steven Yavarow.
MICCA Festivals were held across the state of Massachusetts from April 4–6, 2009.
Marching Band Scoring Criteria
The Marching Band festivals are scored individually per group. Each groups is graded in 5 categories, receiving a score between 1 and 5 stars in each category. The categories are:
- Music - a grade of the style and execution of the musical selections
- Percussion - a grade of the quality of the percussion and pit ensembles
- Visual - a grade of drill design and execution, as well as marching technique
- Auxiliary - a grade of colorguard and other aspects of the performance not covered above
- General Effect - a grade of the overall impression of the show, including how well different aspects complement each other
The scores are then averaged together, with the overall average corresponding to different medals:
- 1-2.5 - Medal of Merit
- 2.5-3.5 - Bronze Medal
- 3.5-4.5 - Silver Medal
- 4.5-5 - Gold Medal
According to the Micca website, the mission statement is as follows:
MICCA is dedicated to the study of music through performance. Creating opportunities for evaluation and expert opinion and feedback to all our participants in a non-competitive setting is our main focus.