Massimo Di Gesu
Massimo Di Gesu is an Italian composer, born in 1970.
In 1992 Di Gesu attained the Diploma in Piano studying with Anita Porrini, one of Cortot's and Benedetti Michelangeli's pupils. In 1995 he obtained the Diploma in Composition at Milan Conservatory, after completing the relative Harmony-Counterpoint-Composition course under the guidance of M° Bettinelli's pupils S. Bianchera, D. Lorenzini and A. Corghi. After further piano studies with Valerio Premuroso, he attended post-graduate composition courses at Petrassi Academy (Parma), at the University of Central England (Birmingham), and at the University of Leeds.
His approach to composition (alien to fashionable currents, and based on a distinctly atonal harmonic idiom) focuses on the symbols hidden in the syntax of sounds, being his language characterised by the search for a perceptible principle of attraction linking the elements of the musical narrative.
Partnerships and collaborations
Di Gesu's debut at La Scala Theatre took place in May 2013, when La Scala String Quartet premiered his "Verdigo",  a work which the ensemble had commissioned on the occasion of the bicentennial of Giuseppe Verdi's birth. La Scala String Quartet had already played Di Gesu's works such as "Ansikte mot ansikte" (for Serate Musicali - Milano, and Ente Concerti Pesaro) and "WOLFiliGrANG" (at the Rovereto Mozart Festival).
Other artistic partners of Di Gesu's are
- Peter Bradley-Fulgoni, who has performed works of his in venues like St Martin-in-the-Fields - London, Salle Cortot - Paris, Skrjabin Museum, Richter Memorial Apartment – Moscow; besides, he has included various works of his in his CDs "PianOLYPHONY" and "PianOLYPTYCHS".
- Wiener Virtuosen (musicians of the Wiener Philharmoniker)
- Ensemble Strumentale Scaligero (musicians of La Scala Philharmonic Orchestra)
- Maurizio Simeoli
- Mariangela Vacatello (Carnegie Hall - New York)
- Duo Favalessa-Semeraro (Società Filarmonica di Trento, Circolo Filologico of Milan)
- Maurizio Zanini (Rovereto Mozart Festival)
- Trio Dansi (Università Bocconi - Milan)
- Arcturus (Leeds Art Gallery)
- I Virtuosi Italiani (University of Nottingham, Newbury Spring Festival).
Further fields of interest
Musicology (essays on 19th-20th century music), teaching, poetry, and computer-based drawing, as seen on the cover of the CD “PianOLYPHONY” recorded by Peter Bradley-Fulgoni (Foxglove Audio - FOX091) and in the score of “Geometria di un diletto” (edition db).
Partial list of works
- Verdigo (2013) for string quartet
- Im Tempo eines Walzers (2012) for wind quintet and string quintet
- Aristocanto (2012) for voice and piano
- Geometria di un diletto (2011) for flute, clarinet, cello
- Omaggio a Novaro (2011) for flute and piano
- Sonata in 'F.' (2009) for cello and piano
- An die Fernanda geliebte (2009) for voice and piano
- Music stamps (2006) for piano
- Through a glass... (2001) for piano
- Schegge (2001) for violin, cello, piano
- Trilogia dell'assenza (1999-2000) for piano
- Ansikte mot ansikte (1995-2000) for string quartet
- edition db: Di Gesu - profile (EN)
- CPSM: Di Gesu - bio, recordings, e-mail (IT)
- Arcturus: Di Gesu - profile (EN)
- Bradley-Fulgoni, Peter. The mystery of modern dissonance. "arq" volume 16 number 2 - 2012; Cambridge University Press
- CIDIM - COMITATO NAZIONALE ITALIANO MUSICA: Di Gesu - profile (IT)
- "CEMAT - composers - Di Gesu". CEMAT. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- "ARCTURUS - Di Gesu". Arcturus.
- "CPSM - Di Gesu". CPSM. Archived from the original on 2012-02-19.
- "edition db - Di Gesu". edition db.
- Principe, Quirino -2 June 2013- "La Scala rinnovata dai giovani" Sole 24 ore
- "Bradley-Fulgoni, Peter. The mystery of modern dissonance. "arq" volume 16 number 2 - 2012; Cambridge University Press" (PDF). Peter Bradley-Fulgoni.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-04-01. Retrieved 2013-06-02.
- http://www.adnkronos.com/Archivio/AdnAgenzia/2003/08/20/Spettacolo/Musica/MUSICA-MARCHE-QUARTETTO-SCALA-A-PESARO_151000.php - AdnKronos
- "MozartFestivalRovereto". MFR. Archived from the original on 2013-01-01. Retrieved 2012-08-12.
- "CIDIM - COMITATO NAZIONALE ITALIANO MUSICA".
- "PianOLYPHONY" (PDF). Peter Bradley-Fulgoni.
- http://www.propostefair.it/download/1-proposte-2012-20yearsofsuccess.pdf[permanent dead link] - Proposte 2012
- http://www.propostefair.it/download/proposte2011-final-press-release.pdf[permanent dead link] - Proposte 2011
- "IMSLP - Di Gesu". IMSLP.