This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|League||Cuban National Series|
|Ballpark||Victoria de Girón Stadium|
|Last season||44–14 (16th, 58th CNS 2018-19)|
|Manager||Armando Ferrer Ruiz|
Matanzas are a baseball team in the Cuban National Series. Based in Matanzas Province, the Cocodrilos were formed after the dissolution of Henequeneros and Citricultores, two teams from Matanzas. The Cocodrilos have struggled to enjoy the success of their predecessors.
Long before the Yumurine players wore the Gothic M of Matanzas on their flannels in that year of 1967, the name of such an illustrious city had already adorned the official history of winter tournaments in the mythical campaign of 1878–79.
Like that modest combined at the beginning of the circuit in the nineteenth century, the Matanzas of the 60s and 70s, was not the most competitive. Never, stars of the mood of Wilfredo Sánchez, his brother Fernando, Rigoberto Rosique, Tomás Soto, Evelio Hernández, Edwin Walters, Alfredo García, Gaspar Pérez, Luis Fernández, Ernesto William Alfonso or the brothers Félix and Reinaldo Isasi, could they unify their forces in a single gang to defend the walls of the Athens of Cuba.
And while Matanzas stoically endured his permanence at the bottom of the pond until his total disappearance towards the mid-1970s, Henequeneros, the other squad of the land of crocodiles, adorned his souvenir closet with a trophy in the 1969 campaign -70.
In the early 1990s, the winter series competition system was reorganized for the eighth time. After 19 years of absence, a team reappeared with the name of Matanzas. Although, this second version of the squad in the amateur era was also not very prolific in terms of collective results.
Matanzas won the Cuban National Series championship pennant in 2020, defeating Camagüey in the finals, clinching 4-2 overall in 6 games out of seven.
- Catchers: Andrys Perez Garcia, Ariel Martinez Marrero, Jesus Daniel Olivera Leon
- Infielders: Yurisbel Gracial Garcia, Jefferson Delgado Castañeda, Yasiel Santoya Zulueta, Bárbaro Erisbel Arruebaruena Escalante, Aníbal Medina Pérez, Sandy Menocal, Yariel Duque Salgado
- Outfielders: Eduardo Blanco Díaz, Willian Luis Campillo, Juan Miguel Martínez Mesa, Javier Camero Rodríguez, Yoisnel Camejo Delgado, Ariel Sánchez, Roberto Alvarez Cardenas
- Pitchers: Yoanni Yera Montalvo, Jonder Martínez Martínez, Yaniel Blanco Portal, David Mena Jústiz, Naykel Yoel Cruz Saldivar, Armando Dueñas Moré, Ramón Licor Rodríguez, Andy Quesada Coto, Reinier Rivero Estrada, Haykel Parra Limonta
|CNS No||Season||Winner||Runner Up||3rd Place||Matanzas||Manager|
|49||2009-10||Industriales||Villa Clara||Habana||14th||Wilfredo Menendez|
|50||2010-11||Pinar del Rio||Ciego de Avila||Cienfuegos||14th||Wilfredo Menendez|
|51||2011-12||Ciego de Avila||Industriales||Matanzas||3rd||Victor Mesa|
|52||2012-13||Villa Clara||Matanzas||Santi Spiritus||2nd||Victor Mesa|
|53||2013-14||Pinar del Rio||Matanzas||Industriales||2nd||Victor Mesa|
|54||2014-15||Ciego de Avila||Isla de la Juventud||Matanzas||3rd||Victor Mesa|
|55||2015-16||Ciego de Avila||Pinar del Rio||Matanzas||3rd||Victor Mesa|
|56||2016-17||Granma||Ciego de Avila||Matanzas||3rd||Victor Mesa|
|57||2017-18||Granma||Las Tunas||Matanzas||3rd||Victor Figueroa|
|58||2018-19||Las Tunas||Villa Clara||Santi Spiritus||16th||Victor Figueroa|
- Felix Isasi (second baseman)
- Rigoberto Rosique (outfield)
- Wilfredo Sanchez (outfield)
- Jorge Luis Valdez (pitcher)
- Lazaro Junco (outfield)
- Julio German Fernandez (first baseman)
- Juan Manrrique (catcher)
- Jose (pepito) Estrada (outfield)
- Yadiel Hernandez (outfield)
- Yoandry Garlobo (outfield)
- Michel Abreu (first baseman)
- Amaury Casañas (outfield)
- Guillermo Heredia (outfield)
|This article about a baseball team in Cuba is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|