Matilde Margherita Mary Capuis (1 January 1913 – 31 January 2017) was an Italian organist, pianist, music educator and composer. She was born in Naples and studied at the Benedetto Marcello conservatory in Venice with Gabriele Bianchi and at the Luigi Cherubini Conservatory in Florence.
After completing her studies, she took a position at the Conservatorio Giuseppe Verdi of Turin where she became chair of theory and then composition. For many years she performed in a duo with cellist Hugh Attilio Scabia.
Capuis died in 2017 at the age of 104.
Capuis' compositions include:
- Symphony in G major
- Concentus brevis (Concerto) for oboe and string orchestra (1975)
- Overture for orchestra
- Variations for orchestra
- Corale for organ, string orchestra and two horns
- Dialogue for string orchestra
- Leggenda par la Notte di Natale for string orchestra
- Three Moments for cello and string orchestra
- Preludio e fughetta
- Suite in Miniature for piano trio
- Sonata No. 1 in C Minor for cello and piano
- Sonata No. 2 in D Minor for cello and piano
- Sonata No. 3 in F-sharp Minor for cello and piano (1966)
- Sonata No. 4 in G major for cello and piano (1975)
- Sonata No. 5 for cello and piano (1980)
- Elegy for cello and piano
- Theme and Variations for cello and piano
- Sonata in Mi Minore for piano
- Dodici Liriche
- Il pianto della Madonna for soli, choir and orchestra
Her works have been recorded and issued on CD, including:
- Matilde Capuis: Works for Cello and Piano Vol. 1 (Duo Capuis) (6 Aug 2007) Audite, ASIN: B000027BGJ
- Debut: Lieder von Komponistinnen [Lieder by Women Composers, Performed by Women Students] (September 24, 2002) Cavalli, ASIN: B00006IZN7
- ^ Heinrich, Adel (1991). Organ and harpsichord music by women composers: an annotated catalog.
- ^ Sadie, Julie Anne; Samuel, Rhian (1994). The Norton/Grove dictionary of women composers. ISBN 9780393034875. Retrieved 19 January 2011.
- ^ Dees, Pamela Youngdahl (2004). A Guide to Piano Music by Women Composers: Women born after 1900.
- ^ "Necrologio - Matilde Capuis (1913-2017) - Conservatorio Statale di Musica "Giuseppe Verdi" Torino". 1 February 2017.
- ^ Concentus brevis : (1975) : per oboe ed archi, für Oboe und Streichorchester. worldcat.org. OCLC 237798396. Retrieved 14 September 2015.
- ^ Video on YouTube
- ^ Orchesterwerke von Komponistinnen im Musikverlag (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-03-03.
- 1913 births
- 2017 deaths
- 20th-century classical composers
- 20th-century Italian composers
- Women classical composers
- Italian centenarians
- Italian classical composers
- Italian music educators
- Italian organists
- Musicians from Naples
- Women centenarians
- Women music educators
- Women organists
- 20th-century women composers
- Italian composer stubs