Matthew D. "Matt" Bostrom took the oath of office in January 2011 as the 21st Sheriff of Ramsey County, a totally urban county encompassing Saint Paul, the state capital city of Minnesota. Bostrom was elected Sheriff over four-term incumbent Bob Fletcher by a 14% margin. In an earlier role as Saint Paul Assistant Police Chief, Bostrom, was given the 2009 Preparedness Award by the Association of Minnesota Emergency Responders.
Bostrom sought the Office of Sheriff based upon a vision for law enforcement and public safety that encompasses the following:
- Providing safety through community policing
- Preserving trust through fiscal responsibility
- Collaborating with public safety, community, and justice partners
- Encouraging diversity to reflect the community
- Improving service through technology
- Connecting with youth to build for the future
As Ramsey County Sheriff, Bostrom led Minnesota’s first law enforcement agency and second largest sheriff’s office, which protects over 500,000 residents in a metropolitan area of 3.2 million people. Bostrom commanded the 400-plus member department and administered a nearly $50 million annual budget. He was responsible for a 500-bed jail, 23 recreational lakes and 18 miles of the Mississippi River, 5 courthouse locations, and contract services to 7 communities. Bostrom directed the coordination of joint investigations, regional partnerships, and community policing services.
Prior to being elected Sheriff, Bostrom was a member of the Saint Paul Police Department beginning in 1982. During this time, he served as a Police Officer, Sergeant, Lieutenant, Commander, Senior Commander, Chief of Staff, Assistant Chief of Operations, and Assistant Chief of Homeland Security and Support Services. He served as the chair of the Ramsey County Criminal Justice Coordinating Council. He was also a member of the National Sheriffs’ Association National Sheriffs’ Institute-Education and Training Committee, Minnesota Sheriffs’ Association Training Committee, and the State of Minnesota Violent Crime Coordinating Council.
Bostrom began his law enforcement career in 1982 at the Saint Paul Police Department and served in multiple roles including Assistant Chief of Operations. Bostrom has a Doctor of Public Administration degree from Hamline University. and authored "The Influence of Education on Police Officer Work Habits" and co-authored "The United States Department of Justice: Character-Based Police Officer Selection". Concurrent with his law enforcement roles, Bostrom was an Adjunct Professor at Saint Mary's University of Minnesota, University of Northwestern (Minnesota), and Hamline University.
In 2017, Bostrom retired as Sheriff of Ramsey County to lead a research project at the University of Oxford - Centre for Criminology. Bostrom's research will further his previous work related to hiring for character, training for competence, and building community trust in police officers.
- Xiong, Chao. "New Ramsey sheriff lays out early plans", Star Tribune, Minneapolis, November 3, 2010. Retrieved on October 6, 2011.
- Nelson, Tim. "Bostrom succeeds Fletcher as Ramsey County Sheriff", Minnesota Public Radio, January 4, 2011. Retrieved on October 6, 2011.
- http://www.co.ramsey.mn.us/elections/results.htm Ramsey County Elections, Select county abstract 2010 state general elections, page 27, which has 93544 votes for Matt Bostrom, 69958 votes for Bob Fletcher with 628 write in votes. The 14% difference is calculated by ((93544-69958)/(93544+69958+628))x100
- "Dilemma for far left? Matt Bostrom honored for RNC security" City Hall Scoop, Pioneer Press blog, September 25, 2009. Retrieved October 6, 2011.
- http://rnc08report.org/archive/1227.shtml RNC8 Report, September 25, 2009
- Rignell, Paul."Ramsey County Sheriff candidate Q & A's", Sun Newspapers, October 23, 2010. Retrieved October 7, 2011.
- Bostrom, Matthew D "The Influence of Higher Education on Police Officer Work Habits" The Police Chief vol. 72, no. 10, October 2005. Retrieved October 7, 2011.
- http://www.mattbostrom.org/research.shtml Full article in PDF form
- Kimball, Joe. "Asst. St. Paul Police Chief Matt Bostrom likely to run for sheriff", Minnpost, October 27, 2009. Retrieved October 7, 2011.
- "New leadership for Ramsey County", Star Tribune, October 20, 2010. Retrieved October 7, 2011.