|Education||RISD, BFA, 2011 |
Yale University, MFA, 2017
|Occupation||Fine-art photographer, Magazine editor, Professor|
|Employer||Freelance photographer, School of Art, MATTE Magazine|
Early life and education
Leifheit was born and raised in Chicago, Il. He attended the Rhode Island School of Design, graduating in 2011, receiving a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree. In 2015, Leifheit enrolled at Yale University graduating in 2017, receiving a Master of Fine Arts degree.
In 2010, while at RISD, Leifheit founded MATTE Magazine, a magazine platform for new ideas in photography which he edits and publishes. MATTE Magazine often features a photographer's work, a portrait of the photographer by Leifheit, and an interview of the artist conducted by Leifheit.
After graduating RISD, Leifheit was hired as photo-editor by Vice. While photo-editor at Vice, Leifheit put a photograph by Robert Mapplethorpe on the cover of the 2014 fashion issue. In 2016, he wrote an article featuring the work of Neil Winokur, highlighting an "overlooked" photographer with work in many museum collections including Museum of Modern Art and the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Leifheit's photography focuses on the human figure and their lived environment; his work features a variety of locations from Fire Island, Key West, the crowds surrounding New York City's Freedom Tower, Providence, and others. In addition to his fine art photography work, Leifheit works as an assignment photographer for a variety of publications including The New York Times and The New Yorker, photographing subjects such as Vince Aletti and Mary Boone.
Selected solo exhibitions
- 2012 - Matte Magazine - Printed Matter, Inc, NYC
- 2017 -Your Georgio, M.A.W. - 56 Henry St, NYC
- 2018 - Fire Island Night - Deli Gallery, NYC
- 2019 - Nothing More American - Florence Griswold Museum, CT
Selected group exhibitions
- 2012 - :):):) - curated by Raphael Cohen and Bea Walling, RISD Museum
- 2014 - AA Bronson and Michael Bühler-Rose Present ‘The Botanica,’ Invisible Exports, NYC
- 2015 - FOAM Talents Exhibition 2015 - Paris Photo, Brussels, London
- 2017 - The Most Beautiful Part/La Parte Mas Bella, Museo de Arte Moderno, Mexico City
- 2018 - The Secret Gay Box, Tom of Finland Foundation, Los Angeles
- Camera Club of New York Curatorial Fellowship, 2013
- Yale Fund for Lesbian and Gay Studies, 2016
- Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library Fellowship, 2016
- Yale School of Art Richard Benson Prize, 2017
- Res (12 November 2018). "Matthew Leifheit - Fire Island Night". Paper Journal.
- "Let Us Now Praise David Lebe". Aperture Foundation NY.
- "Cynthia Talmadge and Matthew Leifheit: Mirroring Energies". Foam Fotografiemuseum Amsterdam.
- Benner, Maximilian (5 January 2019). "Matthew Leifheit's 'Fire Island Night' Examines the Emotional History of Fire Island". Fstoppers.
- Leifheit, Matthew (2015-09-18). "MATTE Magazine Presents: Photos That Don't Fit Anywhere". Vice. Retrieved 2019-06-23.
- "The Study of Magazines & the Legacy of Photographic Representations | MoMA". The Museum of Modern Art.
- Wender, Jessie (2013-08-06). "MATTE Magazine". ISSN 0028-792X. Retrieved 2019-06-23.
- "Pratt Institute". www.pratt.edu. Retrieved 2019-06-23.
- Staff, Vice (2014-02-06). "Introducing the 2014 Fashion Issue". Vice. Retrieved 2019-06-23.
- "Neil Winokur | MoMA". The Museum of Modern Art. Retrieved 2019-06-23.
- Leifheit, Matthew (2014-03-26). "Depicting New York City Through Ordinary Objects: Neil Winokur's New York". Vice. Retrieved 2019-06-23.
- Honigman, Ana Finel (2018-10-30). "Living Images: Matthew Morrocco on His Intimate Portraits of the 'Rich Emotional Lives of Older Men'". ARTnews. Retrieved 2019-06-23.
- Morrocco, Matthew (2018). Complicit. ISBN 9781732479548. OCLC 1080314247.
- "Slow Morpheus by Rachel Stern". Citizen Editions. Retrieved 2019-06-23.
- "Rachel Stern & Matthew Leifheit". AINT—BAD. 2019-03-08. Retrieved 2019-06-23.
- "Yale University Bulletin | School of Art 2017–2018 | Faculty Profiles". bulletin.printer.yale.edu. Retrieved 2019-06-23.
- Syme, Rachel; Leifheit, Matthew (15 April 2019). "Vince Aletti's Obsessive Collection of Seminal Fashion Magazines".
- Bernstein, Jacob (29 March 2019). "Mary Boone Is Not Done". The New York Times.
- "Matte Magazine". Printed Matter. Retrieved 2019-06-23.
- "Art in the Archive: "Your Giorgio"". MONROWE Magazine. 2017-02-14. Retrieved 2019-06-23.
- "Nothing More American". Florence Griswold Museum. Retrieved 2019-10-16.
- "The Botanica at Carroll & Sons (Boston) and Invisible Exports (New York)". Steven Pestana. Retrieved 2019-06-23.
- "PREVIEW Foam Magazine #42, Talent Issue 2015". Issuu. Retrieved 2019-06-23.
- "La Parte Más Bella / The Most Beautiful Part - MAM Mexico City | My Art Guides". myartguides.com. Retrieved 2019-06-23.
- Tarley, Phil (2018-10-18). "John Wolf's Secret Gay Box at The Tom of Finland Foundation". Fabrik Magazine. Retrieved 2019-06-23.
- "Baxter St at CCNY » Matthew Leifheit". www.baxterst.org. Retrieved 2019-06-23.
- "Photographer of the Week #199: Matthew Leifheit". Capricious. 2018-10-23. Retrieved 2019-06-23.