Matthew Statisfield Richardson
November 26, 1971
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter|
Rich broke into the film world with the 1991 film Straight Out of Brooklyn, which was financed by credit cards and donations. Rich also plays Larry Love, a major character in the film. The low-budget independent film grossed $2.7 million at the box office and only cost $450,000 to make. Rich was only 19 years old at the time, he wrote the film as a short story at age 17, and first filmed it as an 8-minute short for himself and high school students, the film was critically acclaimed and Rich won many awards, including an Independent Spirit Award.
In interviews, Rich had proudly stated that even though he dropped out of New York University's (NYU) famed Tisch School of the Arts after one month (he accused the faculty of racism), he still made a successful film. This drew criticism from Spike Lee, a Tisch graduate, who accused Rich of being "ignorant". Rich's second film, 1994's The Inkwell, received mixed reviews. He has not made another film since.
Today, he serves as CEO of Matty Rich Games, a Los Angeles-based gaming company. Matty Rich Games specializes in family-oriented and Christian-themed video games geared toward the African-American community.
On January 19, 2008 Rich married publicist Leah "Reid" Johnson. They presently live in Los Angeles.
- Holden, Stephen (April 22, 1994). "The Inkwell (1994) Review/Film; Young, Black and Confused In the Complicated 1970's".
- Ricapito, Maria (1994-04-29). "Trey Ellis disappointed with The Inkwell outcome". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- Metcalfe, Nasser (July 1999). "Spike Lee on Filmmaking". BlackFilm.com.
- Meyer, Frank (August 1, 2005). "Matty Rich: 187 Ride or Die Fo' Life". G4.
- Samuel, Anslem (2011-10-13). "Matty Rich Goes From Movie Director to Video Game Developer". Black Enterprise. Retrieved 2011-10-06.
In 2005, Rich reemerged as the Creative Director/Artistic Director for video game manufacturer Ubisoft’s 187 Ride or Die. Now, he serves as CEO of Matty Rich Games, a Los Angeles-based mobile gaming company.
- "Matty Rich Gets Married". gip3.smugmug.com.
|This article about a United States film director born in the 1970s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|