November 18, 1970 |
Winter Haven, Florida
|Practice||Max Strang Architecture Inc|
|Buildings||Schokman Education Center, Stein Residence, Tanner Residence, Strang Residence, Latterner Residence|
Max Strang (born November 18, 1970) is an architect based in Coconut Grove (Miami), Florida and Telluride, Colorado. He was raised in a Mid-Century Modern home designed by Gene Leedy of the Sarasota School of Architecture. Prior to starting his own firm in 2001, Strang worked for Leedy and SHoP Architects. His professional training also included a brief internship with Pritzker-winning Zaha Hadid in 1999. Strang received an undergraduate degree in architecture from the University of Florida and a graduate degree from Columbia University. He has received numerous local and state awards and the work of his firm, Max Strang Architecture, has been extensively published.
Strang's own home in Coconut Grove was featured in the Michael Mann film "Miami Vice". In 2007, his Schokman Education Center was completed on the grounds of The Kampong, a botanical garden which is part of the National Tropical Botanical Garden. "The sensitive and eloquent new open-air education pavilion" allows for long, grand views over the sloping lawn, rare trees and mangroves out to the bay. Strang was commissioned by a Miami art collector to oversee the major remodeling of his home in 2007. Strang has designed a home in Winter Haven, Florida, which is expected to be that city's first LEED-certified home. In 2010, Strang's practice was honored as "Firm of the Year" by AIA Miami. In 2013 he received the organization's highest honor, the Silver Medal for Design.
Honors and Awards
- Merit Award of Excellence, Biscayne Bay Residence, AIA Florida, 2014
- Silver Medal for Design, AIA Miami, 2013
- Firm of the Year, AIA Miami, 2010
- Young Architect Alumni Award, University of Florida, 2012
- Award of Excellence, Lakehouse Residence, AIA Miami, 2012
- Merit Award of Excellence, Latterner Residence, AIA Florida, 2010
- Merit Award of Excellence, Stein Residence, AIA Florida, 2010
- DCOTA Stars of Design, Architecture, 2010
- Award of Excellence, Latterner Residence, AIA Miami, 2009
- Award of Excellence, Stein Residence, AIA Miami, 2009
- Merit Award for Architecture, McKenna Residence, AIA Miami, 2008
- Merit Award or Architecture, Schokman Education Center, AIA Miami, 2007
- Young Architect of the Year, AIA Miami, 2007
- Merit Award of Excellence, Strang Residence ("Rockhouse"), AIA Florida, 2005
- Young Architect of the Year, AIA Miami, 2003
- Peribere Residence, Miami, Florida, 2013
- Biscayne Bay Residence, South Florida, 2013
- Lake House Residence, Winter Haven, Florida, 2011
- Hucker Residence, Miami, Florida, 2015
- Schokman Education Center at the Kampong of the National Tropical Botanical Garden, Miami, Florida, 2007
- Di Mare Science Village at Fairchild Tropical Garden, Coral Gables, Florida, 2010
- Dr. Jane Hsiao Tropical Research Labs at Fairchild Tropical Garden, Coral Gables, Florida, 2010
- Stein Residence, Miami, Florida, 2009
- McKenna Residence, Miami, 2008
- Latterner Residence, Miami, Florida, 2008
- Tanner Residence, Winter Haven, Florida, 2005
- Strang Residence, Miami, Florida, 2004
- Grove Village (unbuilt), Miami, Florida, 2009.
Lectures, Exhibitions + Academia
- University of South Florida - Lecture: On Rise, Fall 2014
- Florida Atlantic University - Lecture: On Rise, Fall 2014
- Coral Gables Museum Exhibition - Marking the Millennium (21st Century Miami Architecture), 2014
- AIA Florida - Jury Chair: Park(ing) Day Competition, July 2014
- University of Florida - Lecture: Recent Work, November 2012
- AIA Northern Virginia - Awards Jury, 2012
- AIA Philadelphia - Awards Jury, 2012
- AIA Georgia - Awards, Jury Chair, 2012
- Miami Center for Architecture & Design - “Drawn From Miami Exhibit”, 2012
- University of Florida - Lecture: Environmental Modernism, Fall 2012
- University of Florida - Guest Juror, Fall 2012
- Residential Architecture Magazine - National Design Awards Jury, January 2012
- Pecha Kucha - Athens, October 2011
- AIA Georgia - Annual Convention Keynote Lecture, October 2011
- Florida International University - Exhibition: Engaging the Urban, 2011
- Coral Gables Museum - AIA Miami Winners Showcase, February 2011
- AIA MIAMI - Home Tour, November 2010
- MOSI - Tampa Museum of Science and Industry Artemis Exhibition, September 2010
- AIA Florida - Lecture: Emerging Professionals – 2009
- AIA MIAMI - Lecture: Environmental Modernism, 2008
- University of Florida - College of Architecture Professional Liaison Committee, 2007–present
- University of MIAMI - Visiting Faculty, Fall 2007
- University of MIAMI - Lecture: Environmental Modernism, Spring 2007
- University of MIAMI - Visiting Faculty, Fall 2006
- Miami Art Museum - Exhibition: Reimagining the City, 2006
- Florida International University - Adjunct Faculty, Fall 2005
- National Tropical Botanical Garden - Lecture: Environmental Modernism, 2005
- South Florida Historical Museum - Panelist, 2004
- WLRN 91.3 - Radio Guest: Tropical Currents, 2004
- Florida International University - Guest Juror, 2004
- City of Miami - Planning Advisory Board, 2002–2005
- University of Miami - Guest Juror, 2002–2004
- National Tropical Botanical Garden - Board of Governors (“Kampong Garden”), 2001–2011
- University of Florida - Alumni Association President (New York City Chapter), 1999
- Columbia University - Guest Juror, 1999–2000
- Le Festival du Dessin Anime et du Film D’Animation - Exhibition: Folioscope 98 - Brussels, Belgium, 1998
- Imagina Exhibition - Prix Pixel INA - Monte Carlo, Monaco, 1998
- SIGGRAPH 97 - Computer Animation Festival - Los Angeles, California, 1998
- Tropical Living: Dream Homes at Exotic Places by Manuela Roth, September 2014
- Atlas of World Landscape Architecture by Markus Sebastian Braun + Chris van Uffelen, 2014
- East Coast Modern by Damir Sinovcic - Design Book, 2013
- Tropical Gardens: Hidden Exotic Paradises by Manuela Roth, 2013
- Engaging the Urban by Jason Chandler, 2011
- 100 Florida Architects by Damir Sinovcic, Design Book, October 2010
- Perfect Porches byPaula Wallace & Clarkson Potter, March 2010
- AAA032 by Archivos de Arquitectura Antillana, Miami, 2009
- Living With White by Gail Abbott – Cico, April 2009
- La Lampe Gras, Didier Teissoniere – Norma Editions, December 2008 (French)
- Miami: Mediterranean Splendor and Deco Dreams by Beth Dunlop – Rizzoli, 2007
- Dream Homes of South Florida by Beth Benton, January 2007
- New Sustainable Homes by James Grayson Trulove, December 2006
- ArchDaily - “LakeHouse Residence”, June 2013
- Culta Vitae - “Max Strang Architecture”, January 2013
- Design Milk - “Lake House by Max Strang Architecture”, February 2012
- World Architecture News - “Product of the Year”, October 2011
- Jetson Green - “Resysta, the Non-Wood, Wood”, May 2011
- 2modern Modern Eye Candy - “Max Strang Architecture”, May 2011
- HGTV - “Top Ten Outdoor Rooms”, January 2011
- WSJ.com - “Miami Home, Bali Touch” – Sushil Cheema, April 2010
- Design Book Magazine - “Interview: Max Strang (video)”, 2010
- Contemporist - “A Contemporary House Remodel by Max Strang Architecture”, 2009
- yatzer - “Residence in Miami by Max Strang”, September 2009
- Design Milk - “Miami Residence by Max Strang Architecture”, August 2009
- DUDYE -“Great Architecture Begins with a Promise”, 2009
- HGTV - “Offbeat America”, January 2007
- Universal Pictures - “Miami Vice”, July 2006
- WSVN Channel 7 - “Deco Drive”, July 2006
- HGTV - “Homes Across America”, 2004
- The New York Times, "Quietly Off Kilter", August 2014
- The New York Times, "A Florida House Set for Two Comfort Zones", August 2012
- Wall Street Journal, "Michael Stein's Life in a White Cube", December 2009.
- MIAMI Magazine, "Best of the City - Design", January 2014
- Miami Herald, "Paradise Imperiled", Feb. 17, 2008.
- MIAMI Magazine, "Inspired Design", April 2010
- Metropolis Magazine, "Paradise Found", March 2008
- VENICE Ft Lauderdale Magazine, "Design Principal", Fall 2014
- Home Miami, "Max Strang: Evolution of an Environmental Modernist", May 2007.
- New Sustainable Homes by James Grayson Trulove, December 2006.
- Architectural Record, "Is There Hope for the Big Box?", August 2005.
- House Beautiful, "America's Top Young Designers", October 2005.
- AAA032, Archivos de Arquitectura Antillana, Miami, 2009.
- Axxis Magazine (Colombia) 2009.
- Interior Magasinet (Norway) July 2006.
- Lakeland Ledger, "Living Green", April 2010.
- Objekt International #43(The Netherlands), "Miami: The Ultimate Space Experience", pages 48–61, 2008.
- Miami by Beth Dunlop, Rizzoli, 2007, pages 242–245.
- Henry, S: Inspired Design: Max Strang, Miami Modern Luxury, April 12, 2010.
- Keates, N: Michael Stein's Life in a White Cube, The Wall Street Journal, Dec. 4, 2009.
- Guilbert, J: Paradise Found, Metropolis, March, 2008.
- Dunlop, B: "Paradise Imperiled", Miami Herald, Feb. 17, 2008.
- Keates, N: Michael Stein's Life in a White Cube, The Wall Street Journal, Dec. 4, 2009.
- Pleasant, R: Winter Haven's First LEED-Registered Home in Works, The Polk County Business Journal, Aug. 17, 2009.
- Official Website for Max Strang Architecture Inc
- Inspired Design: Max Strang
- Metropolis Magazine
- New York Times
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Max Strang.|