Maxwell Dlamini is the Secretary General of SWAOCO and the former President of the University of Swaziland Students Representative Council. During the so-called "April 12 Swazi Uprising" in April 2011, he and fellow activist Musa Ngubeni were arrested on charges of possession of explosives under Sections 8 and 9 of Swaziland’s Explosives Act 4 of 1961. They were both allegedly tortured and were subsequently refused bail. They were imprisoned at the Manzini Remand Centre.
Maxwell Dlamini was nominated for the 2013 Student Peace Prize in November 2011, and the 2012 Frontline Defenders Award for Human Rights Defenders at Risk in January 2012. In 2013, he received the All-Africa Students' Union's 2013 Student Activist Award, for ”the role he has played in Swazi and African students' movements.”
Maxwell Dlamini was arrested on 23 April 2013 in connection with a SWAYOCO rally which was held on the 19th of April in Mbabane. Maxwell was charged with two counts of sedition.
Maxwell Dlamini was acquitted of the 2011 charges of contravening Swaziland’s Explosives Act on September 4, 2014, but is still remanded and has to face charges for the two other charges of sedition (for allegedly arranging a boycott campaign during the 2013 Swazi elections)and terrorism (for allegedly criticising the Swazi government and king).
- Pambazuka - Swaziland: uprising in the slip-stream of North Africa
- The Swazi Observer
- Arrests and heavy security prevent new Swazi protests - Sowetan LIVE
- Cribsheet 26.05.11 | Education | guardian.co.uk
- Two Swazi activists charged
- Studenterledere tortureret i Swaziland
- Swaziland torturerer 21-ĂĽrig studenterleder
- Swazi student leader tortured, framed « National « ZimEye
- Swazi Media Commentary: SSN CONDEMNS STUDENTS’ TORTURE
- Welcome to the Congress of South African Trade Unions website
- Swazi activists denied bail | The New Age Online
- Maxwell Dlamini supporters launch campaign to free him | Education | guardian.co.uk
- Free Maxwell Dlamini - President of Swaziland NUS
- The Student Peace Prize
- Cribsheet 17.11.11 | Education | guardian.co.uk
- FĂŚngslet student i Swaziland nomineret til fredspris
- Pambazuka - Swazi student leader nominated for student peace prize
- Maxwell Dlamini granted bail – at a massive 50 000 Rand « Stiff Kitten's Blog – development & socio-political issues