|Traded as||LSE: MDC
|Founded||October 3, 1983|
|Headquarters||Stellenbosch, South Africa|
|Edwin Hertzog (Chairman)
Danie Meintjes (CEO)
|Revenue||£2,107 million (2016)|
|£288 million (2016)|
|£190 million (2016)|
Mediclinic International Plc, founded in 1983, is an international private hospital group with operations in South Africa, Namibia, Switzerland and the United Arab Emirates. The Group's head office is based in Stellenbosch, South Africa. It has been listed on the JSE, the South African securities exchange, since 1986. It is also listed on the London Stock Exchange and its is a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index.
Mediclinic International was founded in 1983 in Stellenbosch, South Africa when its current chairman, Dr Edwin Hertzog, was commissioned by the then Rembrandt Group (now Remgro Group) to undertake a feasibility study on how profitable private hospitals could be. Three years later Mediclinic International, running four hospitals in commission and three hospitals under construction, listed on the JSE, the South African stock exchange in 1986.
In 2006, Mediclinic reached agreement to acquire a controlling interest in Emirates Healthcare in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, which then owned one hospital, the rights to develop two further hospitals in the Dubai Healthcare City and five clinics.
Mediclinic announced a reverse merger of Al Noor Hospitals in October 2015. The former Mediclinic shareholders owned up to 93% of the combined business on completion. The merger was completed on 15 February 2016.
- "Annual Results 2016" (PDF). Mediclinic International. Retrieved 9 April 2017.
- "Mediclinic gains from R29bn refinancing". Financial Mail. 11 September 2012. Retrieved 3 February 2016.
- Reuters Editorial (2 August 2007). "Medi-Clinic to buy Swiss hospitals for $2.36 bln". Reuters UK. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- "Spire Healthcare sells 29.9pc stake to Johannesburg rival". Telegraph.co.uk. 22 June 2015. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- "Mediclinic International and Gulf group Al Noor agree on tie-up". Business Day Live. 14 October 2015. Retrieved 3 February 2016.
- "Al Noor Hospitals completes merger with Mediclinic". Digital Look. 15 February 2016. Retrieved 15 February 2016.
- "Merged Al Noor/Mediclinic to list on Feb 15, eyes Gulf expansion". Reuters. 16 February 2016.