Type of site
|Available in||English, German, Spanish, French, Portuguese|
|Alexa rank||3,906 (As of April 2014[update])|
Medscape is a website providing access to medical information for clinicians; the organization also provides continuing education for physicians and health professionals. It references medical journal articles, CME (Continuing Medical Education), a version of the National Library of Medicine's MEDLINE database, medical news, and drug information (Medscape Drug Reference, or MDR). At one time Medscape published seven electronic peer reviewed journals.
Medscape was launched in 1995 by SCP Communications, Inc. under the direction of its CEO Peter Frishauf. In 1999, George D. Lundberg became the editor-in-chief of Medscape. For seventeen years before joining Medscape he had served as Editor of the Journal of the American Medical Association. In September 1999, Medscape, Inc. went public and began trading on NASDAQ under the symbol MSCP. In 2000, Medscape merged with MedicaLogic, Inc., another public company. MedicaLogic filed for bankruptcy within 18 months and sold Medscape to WebMD in December 2001. In 2008, Lundberg was terminated by WebMD. The following year the Medscape Journal of Medicine ceased publishing.
- "Medscape.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- College & Research Libraries News. Association of College and Research Libraries. 2000. pp. 133–5.
- P., Frenza, J. (1996). Web and new media pricing guide. Szabo, Michelle, 1959-. Indianapolis, Ind.: Hayden Books. ISBN 156830336X. OCLC 36528652.
- "History of Medscape (The First Five Years)". www.medscape.com. Retrieved February 9, 2018.
- Romaine, M; Zatz, S; Brown, K; Lundberg, GD (2009). "So long but not farewell: The Medscape Journal of Medicine (1999-2009)". Medscape Journal of Medicine. 11 (1): 33. Retrieved February 21, 2009.
- Dolan, Brian (June 21, 2009). "WebMD Launches Medscape CME app for iPhone". mobihealthnews. Retrieved July 11, 2014.
- Einerson, Brett (January 7, 2011). "The most popular iPhone medical app, Medscape, is now on Android". iMedicalApps. Retrieved July 11, 2014.