|• Total||0.81 km2 (0.31 sq mi)|
|Elevation||143 m (469 ft)|
|• Density||812/km2 (2,100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
Meldal or Meldal Sentrum is the administrative centre of Melhus municipality in Trøndelag county, Norway. The village is located in the Orkdalen valley, along the river Orkla. The village of Å lies about 8 kilometres (5.0 mi) to the south, the village of Løkken Verk lies about 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) to the north, and the village of Storås lies about 8 kilometres (5.0 mi) to the northwest.
The village is the site of the municipal government offices, a school and preschool, and Meldal Church.
The Old Norse form of the name was Meðaldalr. The first element is meðal which means "middle" and the last element is dalr which means "valley" or "dale". The municipality is named this probably because it is located in the middle of the Orkdalen valley. The name was historically spelled Meldalen.
Notable people that were born or lived in Meldal include:
- Edvarda Lie (1910–1963), artist
- Statistisk sentralbyrå (1 January 2018). "Urban settlements. Population and area, by municipality".
- "Meldal (Trøndelag)". yr.no. Retrieved 2018-01-29.
- Haugen, Morten, ed. (2017-08-20). "Meldal – tettsted". Store norske leksikon (in Norwegian). Kunnskapsforlaget. Retrieved 2018-01-30.
- Rygh, Oluf (1901). Norske gaardnavne: Søndre Trondhjems amt (in Norwegian) (14 ed.). Kristiania, Norge: W. C. Fabritius & sønners bogtrikkeri. p. 149.
|This Trøndelag location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|