Memorial diamonds are diamonds created from hair or cremated remains.
Typically, these are diamonds created in a laboratory, often referred to as "synthetic diamonds", "cultured diamonds", or "laboratory-grown diamonds". Some memorial diamonds are graded by gemological laboratories, such as Gemological Institute of America (US) or Birmingham Assay Office (United Kingdom).
The first lab made diamond can be dated back to 1950s, while memorial diamond started to appear in the market since 2000s. More than one companies claimed to be the "first" to provide memorial diamond, and both Heart In Diamond and LifeGem claims to have the patent of growing a personalized gem diamond. Memorial diamonds are gaining popularity in the United States, United Kingdom, Switzerland, Netherlands, Japan, Germany and many other countries.
Memorial diamonds are produced from hair or ashes, with other carbon ("lab carbon") added as necessary.
In case of hair, it is subjected to heat treatment to extract carbon. Some laboratories also analyse content of hair. A hair analysis report then serves as a client assurance.[clarification needed] The process of unique identification of a diamond and a person based on the hair composition is described in the diamond patent RU2282584 
Carbon can be obtained from cremated human or animal remains in a particulate or gaseous form. The carbon is then filtered using a conventional filtering technique. The carbon and other elements are then purified and graphitized, for example by a halogen purification technique.
The diamonds are then produced from the carbon extracted using conventional diamond synthesis techniques. As of 2009, only high pressure, high temperature (HPHT) processes using belt and cubic presses were used for the production of memorial diamonds.
- "Near-Colorless HPHT Synthetic Diamonds from AOTC Group". gia.edu.
- "Personalised grown gem diamond". russianpatents.com.
- "Patent US20040031434 - Method of making synthetic gems comprising elements recovered from remains ... - Google Patents". google.com.
- http://macaubusinessdaily.com/Business/Exquisitely-remembered Exquisitely remembered | Macau Business Daily
- "Memorial Diamonds out of Cremains - anyone do this? Need Info.". pricescope.com.
- "ПЕРСОНИФИЦИРОВАННЫЙ ВЫРАЩЕННЫЙ ЮВЕЛИРНЫЙ АЛМАЗ И СПОСОБ ЕГО ПОЛУЧЕНИЯ" [Personalised diamond creation process]. ntpo.com (in Russian).
- "METHOD FOR MAKING SYNTHETIC GEMS COMPRISING ELEMENTS RECOVERED FROM COMPLETE OR PARTIAL HUMAN OR ANIMAL REMAINS AND THE PRODUCT THEREOF - INTERNAT RES & RECOVERY CORP". freepatentsonline.com.