(Austin and Goodfellow 1979)
Green and Bousfield 1983
Pseudomonas mesophilica Austin and Goodfellow 1979
Methylobacteria are typically slow-growing and produce pink-pigmented colonies. Pink pigmentation is the primary diagnostic characteristic used in the initial isolation of Methylobacteria. With extended incubation, pink colonies often take on a coral hue. M. mesophilicum and M. zatmanii are the two most commonly reported species isolated in clinical samples.
Methylobacteria have been reported to exhibit resistance to chlorination and have been isolated from tap water in various clinical settings including: an investigation of a pseudo-outbreak, water from dental units, and blood purification units. Tap water is a suspected mode of transmission. The presence of these organisms in tap water prompted suggestions that it may be helpful to monitor these organisms in water distribution systems in hospital units for immunocomprimised patients.
- Hornei, B; Lüneberg, E; Schmidt-Rotte, H; Maass, M; Weber, K; Heits, F; Frosch, M; Solbach, W (1999). "Systemic infection of an immunocompromised patient with Methylobacterium zatmanii". Journal of clinical microbiology. 37 (1): 248–50. PMC . PMID 9854105.
- Kaye, K. M.; MacOne, A; Kazanjian, P. H. (1992). "Catheter infection caused by Methylobacterium in immunocompromised hosts: Report of three cases and review of the literature". Clinical Infectious Diseases. 14 (5): 1010–4. PMID 1600002. doi:10.1093/clinids/14.5.1010.
- Hiraishi, A; Furuhata, K; Matsumoto, A; Koike, K. A.; Fukuyama, M; Tabuchi, K (1995). "Phenotypic and genetic diversity of chlorine-resistant Methylobacterium strains isolated from various environments". Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 61 (6): 2099–107. PMC . PMID 7793931.
- Flournoy, DJ; Petrone, RL; Voth, DW (1992). "A pseudo-outbreak of Methylobacterium mesophilica isolated from patients undergoing bronchoscopy". European Journal of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases. 11 (3): 240–3. PMID 1597201. doi:10.1007/bf02098087.
- Barbeau, J; Tanguay, R; Faucher, E; Avezard, C; Trudel, L; Côté, L; Prévost, A. P. (1996). "Multiparametric analysis of waterline contamination in dental units". Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 62 (11): 3954–9. PMC . PMID 8899982.
|This Alphaproteobacteria-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|