Michael Allenby, 3rd Viscount Allenby
He attended Eton and at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst. He was commissioned a lieutenant in the 11th Hussars (later the Royal Hussars), which was stationed in Malaya between 1953 and 1956. He then served as aide-de-camp to the Governor of Cyprus (1957–1958), Brigade Major of the 51st Brigade in Hong Kong (1967–1969) and as commander of the Territorial Army Royal Yeomanry (1974–1977).
After inheriting the title in 1984, Lord Allenby served as Deputy Speaker of the House of Lords from 1993 to 1999. Having lost his automatic right to a seat under the House of Lords Act 1999, he was elected to remain and sat as a crossbencher.
Allenby married Sara Margaret Wiggin in 1965, daughter of Lieutenant-Colonel Peter Milner Wiggin and Margaret Frances Livingstone-Learmonth. They had one son, Henry Jaffnay Hynman Allenby, who succeeded as 4th Viscount in 2014.
- Notice of death of 3rd Viscount Allenby, telegraph.co.uk; accessed 29 October 2014.
- Lundy, Darryl. "Michael Jaffray Hynman Allenby, 3rd Viscount Allenby profile at". The Peerage.[unreliable source]
- Biodata, biographies.parliament.uk; accessed 29 October 2014.
- "The 3rd Viscount Allenby - obituary". The Telegraph.
- Burke's Peerage. 1949.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Viscount Allenby
- Profile at the Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Voting record at PublicWhip.org
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou.com
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
Dudley Jaffray Hynman Allenby
| Viscount Allenby
Henry Jaffray Hynman Allenby
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
created by the House of Lords Act 1999
| Elected hereditary peer to the House of Lords
under of the House of Lords Act 1999
The Lord Russell of Liverpool