Michael J. Buckley
Professor Emeritus Michael J. Buckley, S.J. (born 1931) is the retired Bea Professor of Theology at Santa Clara University. Prior to his accepting that appointment, Professor Buckley was for fourteen years a member of the theological faculty at Boston College, during which time he served as the Director of the Jesuit Institute and as Canisius Professor of Theology. Previously he was a member of the Pontifical Faculty of Theology at the Jesuit School of Theology of Santa Clara University, Visiting Scholar at Santa Clara University, Visiting Professor at the Gregorian University, Visiting Fellow at Clare Hall at Cambridge University, Professor of Philosophical Theology at the University of Notre Dame and Faculty Fellow at the Reilly Center for Science, Technology, and Values at the University of Notre Dame. He is a Life Member of Clare Hall at Cambridge University. He also served as President of the Catholic Theological Society of America.
Professor Buckley received his B.A. and M.A. in philosophy from Gonzaga University, his STM from Santa Clara University, and his Ph.D. from the University of Chicago (analysis of ideas) under Professor Richard McKeon. He has received two doctorates honoris causa.
- Motion and Motion's God: Thematic Variations in Aristotle, Cicero, Newton and Hegel (Princeton, 1971).
- At the Origins of Modern Atheism (Yale, 1987).
- Papal Primacy and the Episcopate. Towards a Relational Understanding (Herder, 1998).
- The Catholic University as Promise and Project (Georgetown, 1998).
- Denying and Disclosing God: The Ambiguous Progress of Modern Atheism (Yale, 2000).
- What Do You Seek?: The Questions of Jesus as Challenge and Promise (Eerdmans, 2016).
- President, Catholic Theological Society of America, 1991-1992
- Advisory Committee, Princeton Center of Theological Inquiry, Santa Clara University, 1999-2000.
- Chair, Jesuit International Theological Commission
- Executive Director, Committees on Doctrine and Pastoral Research and Practices at the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB)
- Consultant Board Member, Herder/Crossroad Press
- Member, Clare Hall, Cambridge University
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-07-02. Retrieved 2013-07-02.