Michael Marcus (trader)
Marcus began his trading career in 1972, when he bought plywood futures with his life savings of $700. In the summer of 1972 President Richard Nixon froze prices of some commodities, but the futures contracts rallied sharply, increasing Marcus' stake from $700 into $12,000. In 1973 he turned $24,000 into $64,000. He also used Freight derivatives.
Marcus learned money management from Ed Seykota, whom he met while working as an analyst. He was a founding trader of Commodities Corporation, where he was chief currency trader and hired and taught Bruce Kovner as a trader. Marcus blamed the ending of his first marriage on his having to check the markets every two hours throughout the night. Marcus eventually became an EVP at Commodities Corporation. Marcus has recently invested in small-company stock through his holding company Canmarc Trading Co and later made private-placement investments in small OTC Bulletin Board listed companies like Prospector Consolidated Resources and Encore Clean Energy Inc and Pink Sheets Touchstone Resources.
ViRexx Medical Corp, a company focused on immunotherapy treatments for certain cancers, chronic hepatitis B and C, and embolotherapy treatments for tumors, announced Marcus's election to its Board of Directors at its Annual General Meeting held May 25, 2006.
Marcus was featured by Thomas A Bass, in the book The Predictors: How a Band of Maverick Physicists Used Chaos Theory to Trade Their Way to a Fortune on Wall Street. Marcus was described as a chartist who "keeps an eye on market penetration and resistance."
Education and personal
- Schwartz, Martin (1999). Pit Bull. pp 22, 176, 179, 184, 190: Collins. ISBN 0-88730-956-9.
- Weiss, Philip (2005-08-08). "George Soros’s Right-Wing Twin" (PDF). New York magazine. Retrieved 2006-08-05.
- "Kovner, Bruce on Forbes 400". Forbes 400 1999 (Forbes magazine). 1999-10-01. Retrieved 2006-08-06.
- Griffiths, Jay. "Colonising the night". Red Pepper magazine. Archived from the original on 2006-05-13. Retrieved 2006-08-06.
- "SEC edgar". SEC. 2006-08-06. Retrieved 2006-08-06.
- Bass, Thomas A. (2000). The Predictors. p 220: Owl Books; Reprint edition. ISBN 0-8050-5757-9.
Banks, Ferdinand E. (2001). Global Finance and Financial Markets: A Modern Introduction. p 79: World Scientific Publishing ( Hardcover). ISBN 981-02-4326-X.
Schwager, Jack D. (2006). Market Wizards: Michael Marcus, Blighting Never Strikes Twice. Marketplace Books. ISBN 1-59280-285-0.
"SEC profile". 2006-08-06. Retrieved 2006-08-06.