|Michael Earl Schlesinger|
February 23, 1943 |
|Institutions||University of Illinois|
|Alma mater||University of California, Los Angeles|
|Thesis||A numerical simulation of the general circulation of atmospheric ozone (1976)|
Dr. Michael Earl Schlesinger (born February 23, 1943) is a Professor of Atmospheric Sciences and director of the Climate Research Group at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He received his Ph.D. (meteorology) in 1976 from the University of California, Los Angeles.
Michael Schlesinger is an expert in the modeling, simulation and analysis of climate and climate change, with interests in simulating and understanding the climates of the geologic past and possible future climates resulting from increased concentrations of greenhouse gases and human-made aerosols.
He has been instrumental in developing a range of simple and complex climate models, which have been used by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and the Energy Modeling Forum. His research currently focuses on: (1) simulating and understanding the effects on climate of a human-induced melting of the Greenland ice sheet; (2) simulating and understanding the coupled climate-chemistry system, including the influences of the Sun - both irradiance and energetic electron precipitation - and volcanoes; (3) understanding and reducing the uncertainty in the estimation of climate sensitivity and climate feedbacks; and (4) performing integrative assessment of climate change, including further development of the robust adaptive decision strategy for mitigating and adapting to human-induced climate change.
- Schlesinger, Michael E.; Ramankutty, Navin (24 February 1994). "An oscillation in the global climate system of period 65–70 years". Nature. 367 (6465): 723–726. doi:10.1038/367723a0.
- Andronova, Natalia G.; Schlesinger, Michael E. (16 October 2001). "Objective estimation of the probability density function for climate sensitivity". Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres. 106 (D19): 22605–22611. doi:10.1029/2000JD000259.
- Schlesinger, Michael E.; Zhao, Zong-ci (May 1989). "Seasonal Climatic Changes Induced by Doubled CO2 as Simulated by the OSU Atmospheric GCM/Mixed-Layer Ocean Model". Journal of Climate. 2 (5): 459–495. doi:10.1175/1520-0442(1989)002<0459:SCCIBD>2.0.CO;2.
- Schlesinger, Michael E.; et al., eds. (2007). Human-Induced Climate Change: An Interdisciplinary Assessment. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9781139467964.
- Booth, William (21 June 1989). "Environmentalists Hope for Scorcher; Aim Is to Avert Governmental Complacency on `Greenhouse Effect'". Washington Post.
- Lempert, Robert; Schlesinger, Michael (16 November 1995). "Perspective on the Environment". Los Angeles Times.
- Revkin, Andrew C. (2 March 2008). "Skeptics on Human Climate Impact Seize on Cold Spell". New York Times.